Cichlid Fish Forum banner

All male peacock tank for a beginner

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Malawi_Rye 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about stocking a 90g tank with male peacocks. I saw on <vendor name removed> that they are selling assorted 2"-2.5" male peacocks/haps for around $17 each. Would it be a good idea to order 15 fish from there and put them all in my tank? I currently have a pictus catfish and was also thinking about adding a bristlenose pleco.

I'm completely new to cichlids and was wondering if this would be more difficult than I thought. Do you guys recommend I go the unsexed route instead? To me that route seems more complicated and requires more tanks and removal of fish.

I really like the colors of peacocks but I'm open to other suggestions of how to stock my tank. Thank you for your help

#2 ·
I would not buy an assortment from any vendor.

All-male is a difficult tank, but if you want to tackle it anyway then choose 12 haps and peacocks that mature at or less than six inches and look nothing alike and purchase all males. You will save in the long run because you are likely to have to rehome (or worse) some of the fish in the assortment that don't work out.

Even when you hand-pick the fish have an extra tank so you can rehome any fish that don't work out over the first two years.

#4 ·
IMO mixed gender is easier, whether haps and peacocks or mbuna. Think in terms of 4 species (or less) that mature at six inches or less. Shoot for 20 fish with 1m:4f of each species.

Hap/peacock females are silver/brown but you will get the colorful males you like. One species of peacock/tank, but the haps are beautiful too.

If you want colorful females and to possibly avoid rehoming entirely, stock two tolerant mbuna species (yellow labs and acei) and buy a 10-12 of each.

#5 ·
I started this hobby a year ago with a 30 gallon. I was buying small peacocks from a guy in Florida. They were supposed to be guaranteed males! Half of what he sent were females. He did replace the females but it was a nightmare. Lots of aggression due to the females. I have upgraded to a 150 gallon all male peacock and hap tank. I buy from one trusted supplier and usually won't buy anything unless is is at least 3" and showing some color. I have 40 cichlids. Now and a very peaceful tank. Little to no aggression.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.