Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted an all-male peacock cichlid tank for years. Now I'm sitting here with a 55 gallon tank that's just finished cycling, browsing cichlid breeder sites, picking out fish, and it occurred to me... is keeping an all-male tank somewhat cruel? These fishbros will never enjoy the company of a ladyfish. That would drive most humans crazy, but do fish get sexually frustrated?

I was really looking forward to a colorful all-male peacock/hap tank, but I don't want to torture my fishbros and I could still get mbunas or a few male/female peacock colonies instead (although I'm not really thrilled about having a tank with 3 nice looking fish in it, and I guess species interbreeding would be a concern too).

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Cruel? Dunno. They are always sexually charged all of the time anyway. Just kinda boring for them, and maybe you.

Personally, when I look at a tank I look at the fish that are standing out and shining. Having three different types of male showing near to full color is good. In an all male tank, you still end up with a few fish dominating and showing their best color, the rest kinda mediocre. You rarely get all colored up for an extended time, eventually some fish decline.

Both types of tanks have their challenges. Neither is easy nor impossible. Personally I would prefer an all male tank with both "Haps" and "Peacocks" so you can have more diversity, but your tank is on the small side. All Aulonocara tank has a bunch of closely related fish.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.