Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so thinking of making my new display tank suggestions on either, haps, peacocks, Mbuna ??

I am leaning towards Mbuna

good idea or not?

and i want the most colourful species possible so any suggestions, i have read up on this site that the best thing to do is get some juvies and raise them in the tank together and then pick the most dominant ones and keep them

So i need to pick exact species, i am going to buy privately from a forum from Australia that deals with people near where i live.

The tank is 55 gallons, has canister filter with uv, has a 4ft light dimensions of tank is 4' x 15"w x 18"h

i have lots of rocks to create a rocky tank, also have driftwood for more open tank, i will be having BN in the tank just common.

so any suggestions would be great but again leaning towards Mbuna.

Also have a planted tank so if i want/need plants in that tank if fish like them.

also if you need any other info just let me no

cheers

·
Super Moderator
40,913 Posts
An all-male mbuna tank is the most challenging since they are not as peaceful as haps and peacocks. A 55G is a little smaller than the ideal, but it sounds like you have read the article.

So grab your extra tanks and choose one of each species that looks nothing alike. The hardest part will be to choose one blue barred fish and one orange/yellow fish, because there are a lot of those to choose from. And then to find 6-8 other fish that are not blue barred or orange/yellow. :thumb:

All male tanks are hit-or-miss so that is the reason for the extra tanks.

I think I would avoid the melanochromis genus except maybe for cyaneorhabdos (Maingano).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yer i no 55 is a little small i am only planning on having them in this until they get a little bigger and upgrading to a bigger 6 or 8 ft tank.

I have now got 4, 4ft tanks and 4 2ft tanks so i have plenty of room for fish if they do not work out :p

Cheers i still am undecided on the type as i want the mbuna but i hear they are harder then haps which is my 2nd choice so yer either one of hte 2.

Cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so just had a look at that cookie cutter link and a few questions

Although the Labidochromis sp. "Perlmutt" and Labidochromis sp. "Hongi" have very slight stripes on there body would they still conflict with something like a Pseudotropheus saulosi ?And i am pretty sure htis will be a no but can you house the Saulosi with a Cynotilapia afra ??

If i were to go with the smaller less agressive mbuna would this be ok
Cynotilapia afra
Iodotropheus sprengerae
either a Labidochromis caeruleus or Labidochromis sp. "Hongi"
and Labidochromis sp. "Hongi"

i no it says 3 types but yer.

cheers

·
Registered
874 Posts
Try your best to not have more than one species from the same Genus. I have has success combining Perlmut and Caeruleus. However had no success with Hongi and Mbamba, these two should not be combined with other Labs in my experience.

Iodotropheus, Cynotilapia and Labidochromis sounds good. However C. Afra is blue barred so i would not go with L. Mbamba or L. Hongi. Go for Caeruleus or Perlmut. I have been keeping Perlmut for over 10 years and they are really striking, underrated IMO.

M

·
Registered
448 Posts
As everyone said, it's very hard in a 55gal (I know, I have one…lol). For the most part my tank is peaceful. I have the occasional fight but no fish hides behind the filter/heater. Most of them have been together for over a year. I overcrowded mine a bit (12 fish/10 of which are mbuna) which actually seems to help. I originally only had 10 fish in there, and then I added a Zebra Long Pelvic and Troph. Aurora which seemed to help reduce aggression. It's really a "trial and error" process. I had to remove a few species from my tank due to aggression but I believe I've been very lucky because I introduced most of my fish as juvies. If you really decide to go all male, I say go all in. Get all of them at once (as juvies) and slowly weed out the big bullies. I don't regret for one min going all male. I absolutely love the colors in the tank and with so many different species, I love the different characteristics that the all male tank gives me! Good luck with your set-up!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats interested esparzar1 i was told to keep the dominant males but you said you got rid of them? and how did you start, did you start with multiple of the same species and then get rid of some?

And i would be interested in seeing a picture of this tank :)

cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also esparzar1 how do your Hongi SRT and your Zebra Long Pelvic and the Troph Aurora get along as they are barred ?

And also how does hte peacock get on with all the mbuna ??

cheers

·
Registered
448 Posts
My troph is not a barred speices, he blue with a yellow chin(the red cheek is more of a barred troph that the aurora)....I was always under the impression that the troph are very aggressive, that's why I introduced him last to the tank. Turns out, he the biggest whimp in my tank (as of right now it least). I didn't get rid of my dominate male, I got rid of my most aggressive fish (socolofi) he was mean to everyone smaller than him...lol...anyways, I intoduced most of them together as juvies. I've always added in pairs (2 males at a time) with minimal issues. My peacock is a ob and hold his own fine with the others.....not all of my males are full grown so I cannot say that I will have sucess in the long run. With that being said, I still think if u decide to go all male I would add them all as juvies....adding your least aggressive first and ending with your most aggressive......I'm not expert by any mean so take my advice for what its worth! My ZLP and Hongi SRT are both still juvies so its hard to say how that will turn out. I do know ppl who have mixed those two species with sucess......hopefully that helps :thumb:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Here is my tank as of right now...as you can see some of them are still juvies and some are hiding in this pic....I'm still learning myself and cannot say that an all male tank will work in the long run....but I'm having a lot of fun with what I currently have :p......also, I don't have the best camera so the pic may not be the best

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow i really like the look of that especially the rock, and thats awesome thanks heaps for hte advice and yer i will be adding htem all as juvies and i will add them as pairs and then get rid of what ever needs to be.

cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts