Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon tank standard dimensions 48" x 18" x 21". My question is how many male peacocks and haps can I put in this tank without it being crowded. I know that a lot of these guys can get pretty large so I will be avoiding the large piscivores. I figure the max fish size I can reasonably put in this tank is ~9". I have a few fish now that are all around the 3.5" range and was wondering how many I can put in there. They are currently all housed together in a larger tank with about 20 other fish but I will be shutting that one down soon and will be moving to the 75 gallon.

I have looked at the stocking guidelines but it would suggest I can place 4 harems of 5 species. Too me that seems as though its too many fish, or is it?

I have one of each of the following

Aul. Lemon Jake
Aul. Usisya Flavescent
Aul. Chiwindi
Aul. Maylandi
Aul. OB
Cop. Trewavasae
Dimidio. Compressiceps
Oto. Lithobate
Placido. Mdoka Whitelip
Proto. Spilonotus Tanzania
Proto. Imperial Tigress
S. Fryeri Iceberg

The OB will be going once I find a ruby red, and the compressiceps despite its badassedness/awesomeness will have to go as well...eventually maybe...(i'm on the fence if you can't already tell).

Im looking to add some red into this any ideas would be wonderful.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My experience with all male - once some got past 7in I wanted a bigger tank than my 90 gallon for them.

I have Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania" and Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania" (Liuli) males that really outgrew my 90gal tank - they just looked cramped.

They are both about 8in right now and in a 6ft 125 and look much better relative to the tank.

I had 10 adult males in my 90 and it seemed pretty full to me.

My Taiwan Reef has great red on the anal fin and is a good fit for a 4ft tank.

Not Red, but the Placido. Electra offers a good contrast to the other colors in your tank being a light blue.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a a stunner of an electra abput two weeks ago before he took a quick jump when no one was home. Got out a 1.5" opening in the back of the tank and ended up 4' in front of the tank!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I will wind up with 11 males in my 72, but all of them will(or should) stay 6" and under. A couple you have will definately get bigger. If you add the Ruby Red, I agree with GoofBoy that an Electra is a nice option. Or if you want to try something green, a Lethrinops "Red Cap", Tramitichromis sp. Intermedius, or Otopharynx Tetrastigma are other options, and they stay a bit smaller too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just picked up a trio of copadichromis boryeli "nhkata bay" today for $20 they are still juvies but one is a male for sure. The male will be finishing off my 75 gallon and the ob, flavescent and compressiceps will be coming out by the end of the week. I saw the boryeli's collection point and forgot about the red I wanted lol. I think he will be a nice addition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts