Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Im new to holding cichlids and was wondering how many males i should have in my tank. I am mostly conserned about nitrite buildup from the bioload. I am fully commited to weekly water change, but it whould be nice to able to go on a 2 week holiday once a year, and not comming home to a dead tank. My tank is L/120cm D/41 H/55 / US numbers are 47/16/21 I would greatly appreciate any advice you guis could provide.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
If your tank is properly cycled, it is not nitrites than you have to be concerned about, it is NITRATES. I try to keep that value below 20 ppm for my African cichlids. If you are faithfully doing water changes, you should be able to go away a couple times a year for two weeks at a time and not worry. Just make sure that the person feeding your fish does not overfeed.

As far as Peacocks go in an all male tank, I am not 100% sure. I have a breeding tank 1m, 4 f in a 90 gallon. I imagine I could bump the females up to 10 if I wanted. Someone who has kept all males might know better for a 65 gallon. Compatibility might be as important as bio-load.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your tank is properly cycled, it is not nitrites than you have to be concerned about, it is NITRATES. I try to keep that value below 20 ppm for my African cichlids. If you are faithfully doing water changes, you should be able to go away a couple times a year for two weeks at a time and not worry. Just make sure that the person feeding your fish does not overfeed.

As far as Peacocks go in an all male tank, I am not 100% sure. I have a breeding tank 1m, 4 f in a 90 gallon. I imagine I could bump the females up to 10 if I wanted. Someone who has kept all males might know better for a 65 gallon. Compatibility might be as important as bio-load.
Im sorry for the confusion. I meant nitrates of course. I will absolutly aim for below 20ppm in the day to day. Im thinking if i go on a holiday, come home, and the value is pushing 40 i have a situation, but one that can be managed. i was planing to use an auto feeder with 48hour intervals, which i will test allot before trusting. If i can have 6 males or more im doing aulonocara. If its less i need to ree evaluate, i want them realy bad tho lol. When it comes to compatibility im going to stay away from ob, blood dragon and lemon jake, maybe one of them after the rest have grown up just to try it out. I wil also try to have difrent colours. From what i have seen on youtube the blue ones like Chilumba dont mind look alikes as much.
Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
I would say 8-10 males, but I would not do 6 because it would be hard to manage aggression. For that matter, I would not do all-male in a tank smaller than 48x18.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say 8-10 males, but I would not do 6 because it would be hard to manage aggression. For that matter, I would not do all-male in a tank smaller than 48x18.
[/QUOTE
If i want a longer aquerium i whould need to get a 450l The tank size standard in norway is a little weird, if i did a 350 it whould be taler and a little deeper, and way more pricey. I could aford this one so i thought it`s about as close as im gonna get. It also came with a good pump, good heater and a pretty lousy filter 600L ph for a nice price. I was thinking im getting my first three fish after cycling, then buy a good cannister filter before i add more.
Thank you for the response.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Better to add them all at once (assuming you cycle with ammonia). Else you need a quarantine tank and will have either hiding fish or fighting fish until you are fully stocked.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, easier to get them all at once - or at least half of them - and just do a lot of water changes until your bacteria catches up. Three fish is a good recipe for two fish. Or even one. If the numbers are so small, your dominant fish will probably go crazy on the others.

About taking a vacation - your fish can easily go without food for a couple weeks. Some say even a month. (Keep in mind, when your fish were shipped to wherever you bought them, they didn't eat on the trip, did they?) If you are going on a trip, do a water change and then leave them be until you get back. They should be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, easier to get them all at once - or at least half of them - and just do a lot of water changes until your bacteria catches up. Three fish is a good recipe for two fish. Or even one. If the numbers are so small, your dominant fish will probably go crazy on the others.

About taking a vacation - your fish can easily go without food for a couple weeks. Some say even a month. (Keep in mind, when your fish were shipped to wherever you bought them, they didn't eat on the trip, did they?) If you are going on a trip, do a water change and then leave them be until you get back. They should be fine.
Wow i had no idea about the feeding thing, granted all the people who have told me i should get a auto feeder are people who sell auto feeders. I will research that further for shure.
My plan was 3 batches but i believe 2 is the best if my bacteria can handel it. Adding all at once seems like certain death acording to what i have learned, but if you guys say it's doable i'm sure it is. The problem is getting that many at once. Inn my country it is illegal to ship live animals to non certified sellers. I need to go to a couple of private Breeders, four-five hour drives in different cities and get them myself. I can buy from a shop but you have to buy 2 of the same fish each time you buy, witch is not ideal for aulonocara, you can choose different or same gender not different types of colors. each breeder in drive distant have 5-6 different varieties. Thank you for answering.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
If you can line up and get the Cichlids? it is almost ALWAYS better to stock with all of them at once in a new tank situation.
The key part of success for this, is to properly prepare your biological filtration to handle the load of all those fish placed at the same time in your aquarium.

(3) Fishless Cycling - Part 1 | Cichlid Fish Forum (cichlid-forum.com)

Better to add them all at once (assuming you cycle with ammonia). Else you need a quarantine tank and will have either hiding fish or fighting fish until you are fully stocked.
This is what @DJRansome was referring to, when recommending the 'all-at-once' stocking approach. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you can line up and get the Cichlids? it is almost ALWAYS better to stock with all of them at once in a new tank situation.
The key part of success for this, is to properly prepare your biological filtration to handle the load of all those fish placed at the same time in your aquarium.

(3) Fishless Cycling - Part 1 | Cichlid Fish Forum (cichlid-forum.com)

This is what @DJRansome was referring to, when recommending the 'all-at-once' stocking approach. :)
I will try to make this happen then. Whould a couple of days diffrence be just as bad?
Thank you guis so much for helping me out.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Don't forget the need to quarantine if you get them from different vendors.

Forget feeding while you are away. No feeding keeps the water cleaner and healthier without water changes.

Reactions: Deeda

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't forget the need to quarantine if you get them from different vendors.

Forget feeding while you are away. No feeding keeps the water cleaner and healthier without water changes.
The no feed holiday info have taken a huge load of my mind:D
I think i will need to find a workaround at the store to get all the fish from the same source. Quarenting them myself is just not an option i have at the moment, since i only have the 240L.
My last question whould be. Hiding spots, yes or no.
Thank you so much DJRansome. The info i have gotten here has been a huge help.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
You want randomly spaced large rocks but not a pile to the water surface like mbuna. More open water than rocks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts