Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I just put 4 more male peacocks in me all male tank so only a total of 8. I have a concern about my dragon blood being a tank boss chases everyone and really goes after the other dragon blood. I feel bad cause he's been hiding and suggestions?? I don't want to lose any of them.

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
Hi everyone I just put 4 more male peacocks in me all male tank so only a total of 8. I have a concern about my dragon blood being a tank boss chases everyone and really goes after the other dragon blood. I feel bad cause he's been hiding and suggestions?? I don't want to lose any of them.
What are the dimensions of your tank? When doing all male the usual stocking plan is to choose fish that look nothing alike. You would expect two dragon bloods to fight and change. I recommend rehoming one.

Reactions: misterted

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
Im all new to this been reading alot though and really wanna succeed in this hobby. It's a 55 gal
In a 55G I would not do more than 8-10 males that mature at or less than six inches. Hybrids like the dragon blood might be too aggressive for your tank as they mature. A 55G is a difficult tank to do all-male stocking because of the difficulty of managing aggression in a small space.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thank you I'll stick with 8 and hope they get better if not re home. I wanted 8 to 10 figured that would be a decent number for a 55?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it is.. I hope there's something I can do I love them and I want to be relaxing to watch not stressful and worry all the time

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Yes it is.. I hope there's something I can do I love them and I want to be relaxing to watch not stressful and worry all the time
With cichlids, there will always be chasing. There will always be one dominant fish. As long as fish aren't hiding in a corner, or being damaged, this isn't a problem. Typically with all male tanks, it's recommended to have different types of Peacocks, with the aim of getting ones that don't look alike... two of the same kind, will go after the other, particularly in a relatively small tank... to boot, Dragonblood were created with some sore of mbuna cross, so they are more aggressive than the average peacock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks ya stresses me out I wish I didn't get 2 of the same ones specially DB but I'm hoping they will be ok. They have been hiding alot I tried building lots of caves.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you tried reorganizing all the rocks and decor within the tank? When I had aggression issues I kept shifting everything around and they’d settle down.

Also, I think with a 55g you could probably have more than 8-10 fish. I think 3-4 gallons per fish is supposed to be a decent guide.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Your numbers are fine. There are a few species that may be too aggressive for a 55 gallon. Dragonbloods, o.b.'s and jocabfreibergi types are typically more aggressive for peacocks. I've tried putting the aggressor in time out for a while, then reintroducing him, but it never worked for long. He may eventually have to be swapped out with another one, given their temperament can vary, the next one may workout.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright thanks, there doing better today he's not chasing as much just goes after everyone here and there but not biting. Is that somewhat Nomal for a tank boss? And I'd like to get 2 to 4 more when I have the extra cash.

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
For all male with 12 males and some of them dragonbloods, you might want to consider a 75G or larger.

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
I would not add fish until the upgrade is complete.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts