Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a 135 all male hap/peacock that i'd appeciate some opinions on. It is a 6ft with 2 xp4s and one AC 110 for filtration... currently stocked is
1 Aul. German Red(nasty)
1 Aul. Caroline Swallowtail
1 Aul. Usisya
1 Aul. Jacobfreibergi Otter Point
1 Placidochromis Phenocilus
1 Placidochromis Makonde Yellow black fin
1 Nimbochromis Livingstonii
1 Tramitichromis intermedius(nasty)
(2 Blue Dolphin haps waiting for 90)
5 yellow labs
1 ps. demasoni

I feel as though this tank is understocked and would really like to add:
1 Aul. Red Top Lwanda
1 Aul. Bi Color 500
1 Copadichromis Azureus
1 Dimidiochromis compressiceps
1 Otopharynx Lithobates Zimbabwe
1 Copadichromis Borleyi

With those additions would it be overstocked? Still understocked?
This is my first attempt at an all male and so far its been pretty smooth sailing... just feel that the intermedius and German red are turning into real tank bullies and the only thing to stop their aggression seems to be to change the rock up every week along with water changes.
Was looking for advice from other all male keepers whether overstock is the only way to go. Keep in mind that the two moorii will be gone... so it would be a total of 20 fish.... any ideas, suggestions or better tankmates are welcome and really appreciated! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You should be fine with those. My 110 tall has a very similar stocking as yours and it's only a 4' tank and I think I could get away with a few more. They're moving to a 6' 150 soon, but this stock does great for me as of now. I'm not adding anything until they get an upgrade. It wasn't instant success though. Overstocking won't do it alone. It takes lots of identifying bullies, moving or getting rid of or trading them until you can find harmony among mates. One trick I did, because I have spare tanks, was to remove the bully, rearrange things, leave him out for a day or two, then drop him back in over night. They don't know what hit em. Seems to work for the most part, had to part with a rubescens, and a few others, cuz they just wouldn't get the message though. I'm also growing out a Phenocilus and C. Azureus as well, nice picks!

My Stock:

1 Aulonocara maulana 'Bi-Color 500'
1 Aulonocara jacobfreibergi Undu Reef 'Lemon Jake'
1 Aulonocara sp. 'Stuartgranti Maleri' Maleri Island
1 Copadichromis chrysonotus Mumbo 'White Blaze'
1 Nimbochromis venustus
1 Protomelas taeniolatus 'Red Empress'
1 Sciaenochromis fryeri 'Iceberg'
1 Aulonocara lwanda Hai Reef 'Red Top'
1 Placidochromis electra Likoma 'Deep Water'
1 Copadichromis Borleyi 'Mbenji'
1 Dragons Blood/Ruby Red Peacock