Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to you all....

been reading these threads for a long while and the info that i have gained has been fantastic...

anyway i would like to ask a few questions on my new oscar tank...

i have purchased a new juwel rio 240 tank and i am going to house a oscar in it...

it is a 240litre tank(about 63gal USA),(www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog ... p-562.html),it come with built in filtration and heater...

i am going to purchase a 2 inch oscar and my plan is to keep him by himself and grow him to his adult size and hopefully become friendly...done this once before...

i want to add a cannister external filter to run along side the tanks built in filter from the start...

i was going to buy a fluval fx5 to do the job but it wont fit into the cabinet due to its massive size so looking at a Eheim 2078 pro 3e 700 (www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog ... -1051.html)..

is this a good idea,can you over filter the water...is this filter overkill(money isnt a issue)....

all i want is the best filter for the money and to keep my oscar healthy...

sorry for the long post all answers and alternatives will be most welcome...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yeah the fx5 would of created tidal waves in your tank..I run one on my 125 and that's it. Never owned an eheim but will in the future. Good luck with finding a filter.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have the Eheim pro 3 2075 on a 75g n it does a great job. I don't the 2078 is needed but if you can afford it id say go for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thankyou for your time in answering my questions...

think i have decided on the Fluval G6...it is expensive (£350 uk) but i love the design and ease of cleaning it,plus had a demo today and it really does run at a whisper...

it can pass 1000ltr per hour so with the built in juwel filter passing 600ltr per hour there will be 6 times per hour cycle (240ltr tank)...

these above specs are with full media and under load...

i really hope this is enough filtration....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TheFishGuy said:
It doesn't matter how much filtration you have if you don't change atleast 1/3 of the water weekly. It is the only way to remove nitrates.

I have 94 oscars in a 50 breeder with a sponge filter. They are an inch.
i would love to see a pic of them or a video if possible....

yes i will be doing a 20-30% water change every week along with all tank duties

another question is with the filtration i am going to have in my tank do i need a air pump for a bubble wall or a air stone,i am not a fan of them so dont want one if possible.....

i will angle one of the filters intakes to break the surface and hopefully do the same job as a airstone/bubble wall....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TheFishGuy said:
As long as you have surface break your water will be oxygenated... Air stones will not be necessary.

Here's an old vid, I have not shot a recent one due to lack of time...

love it thankyou....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts