Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forumgoers,

Why don't we hear of any all female tanks?
With mbuna, the colours are intense with both males and females.
Females are allegedly less agressive.
You won't have fry, which for some people is a good thing.

Won't an all female tank let you keep odd numbers, like two or three of a kind of fish?

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
With mbuna, the colours are intense with both males and females.
not really. Even in species where males and females are the same coloring, usually the dominant male is the one that has the best colors. And a lot of dimorphic species that people like to keep, the females can be drab brown/silver.

That being said, I think there is a strong possibility I will add a few female estherae red zebras to my 125 sooner or later. maaaaaybe I might even try to add a female auratus or 2 *gasp*

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:lol:

Is my reasoning sound, at least? Will an all female tank be 'less agressive'?

·
Registered
261 Posts
It will porbably be less aggresive but pretty dull to look at in my opinion. The reason i for one put males in my tank is for their their beauty and to watch them interact with each other. But to answer the question if it will work im sure it would but i dont know why u would want to.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
TBH, I don't think many people have tried this. Or at least, haven't told us about it. We can speculate quite a bit, but you won't know until you try it.

Here's a bonus of all-female: your RZs will stay bright orange!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol. That, and you might manage to keep an auratus or two, since they'll chase each other, but not with the vehemence a male does.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Speaking of auratus...

I actually have 2 males and 1 female in my mixed mbuna tank right now. I was having so many problems with my zebras (I had too many different metraclima, purchased before I knew better) and I thought, those mean auratus will straighten them out... Well I bought them as juvies and one small one was killed (a male) and now I haven't seen any problems so far, even with the two males. The female has spawned a few times but never holds to term. I have a large greshakei that is the aggressor in the tank, maybe that's why things are the way they are. But now that I've said all this all my fish will be murdered, lol!

The female auratus are prettier to me anyway, as long as she keeps her girl colors and doesn't become a pseudomale.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love hearing about happy auratus setups. Pics? :)

I do like those girl colours. How often do they assume pseudomale colours?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
TBH, I don't think many people have tried this. Or at least, haven't told us about it. We can speculate quite a bit, but you won't know until you try it.

Here's a bonus of all-female: your RZs will stay bright orange!
:)

notice how suspisciously, the females I said I wanted to add were the species (RZ, Auratus) where the females are (IMO) better looking than the males. :D

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I have an all female tank! Its a 55g with 5 saulosi, 1 rusty, & 3 perlmutt. Soon to have a few female haras. I had a L. Fuelleborni in there but she was so aggressive i had to take her out. I like it so far (only been together for a few months but fish range between 1-2.5 years old). The saulosi look the best but are no where near as nice a yellow as a group of labs would be). The rusty i like. She isnt any thing special but still nice looking. The perlmutts look cool with their super dark bars on the body.

Like all male- some fish will not work out in an all female tank. I thought i wouldnt have that problem but was very wrong. The female fuelleborni was just as aggressive towards the female saulosi, rusty, and perlmutts as a my 5"+ fuelleborni male was towards his females.

I'm not worrying about numbers of each species. Just going to put females in there and take them out if necessary. I'm going to shoot for 15 fish.

I also have a few female cyno afra likomas i'm going to add to the tank. Hopefully they will get along with the hara females.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A voice from the darkness!

It's soon to tell, apparently it takes two years before you can call a tank a success, but it sounds good. :)

It's something unusual, which is why I asked why it isn't done. But clearly, it can be done.

Pics? :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I change my tanks around so much i dont think i have ever had the same combination in a tank for 2 years.

I dont have any pics as of yet. I went for a tropical theme in that tank so most people here might not like the look that much (also i dont have a background on that tank yet so all the wires are very distracting). All the rest of my tanks are more natural looking and have painted backgrounds. I'll take some pics of it when i get a chance.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like it when people do less obsessively natural themed tanks. After all, we don't have lakes and the fish don't seem to mind (as long as there are caves and interesting things to swim through). Balance, layout and proportion, and how much the maker likes it counts more to me. My first tank years ago had a heart theme, which I still think was pretty darn cute (I was seven). It progressed through several others, pokemon at one stage, pirates, then castles and dragons. Now I'm all driftwood and plants, with Mbuna. :lol:

Did you deliberately aim for a female tank, or did it just end up that way?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
We had some posts on all female tanks a while back. I do think the reason it is not done more is pretty simple and comes down to the inability to find enough colorful females to do one of each species, no two look alike to make up a tank.

And people want those unusual-colored mbuna males without the drab fish. :thumb:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm about to move my mbuna to another tank- they're moving to our new fish room and I'll try to get a good pic when it's set back up. Don't know how often the girl auratus go psuedomale but when I was working at petsmart we got in a large one that we thought was a boy- I sold it to a customer who was looking for a male but thought it was a female when he got in his tank. We were keeping it in iso because it kept killing everything in the tank! I don't know what the heck is going on with my tank but I'm not going to complain.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Nina_b said:
Did you deliberately aim for a female tank, or did it just end up that way?
I wanted an all female tank for a couple reasons. Mainly to have a place to keep females that i still am intereseted in breeding while i keep the males in an all male setting.
So if i ever wanted to breed a certain species i could pull the females from the all female and the male from the all male and put them together in another 40g or 55g.

Some would say not having to worry about babies would be a good reason to go all female but i dont even factor that in. I've never had fry survive past a couple days after the mom spits.

Like DJRansom said the main reason not to do it is because of less attractive color options.

Another thing to consider is what i said in my previous post. You wouldnt think about having to remove overally aggressive females but it does happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 400ltr (100g approx) with 45 Mbuna including all the most aggressive fish available. I have no problems at all. I have male and females of all the species and the only aggression i get is when they spawn which is all over in a few days. My advice is to overstock to avoid aggression but you MUST over filter the water to compensate, they produce a lot of waste. I do 40% water changes once a week. I dont see why we cant have the best of both worlds :) No need to be sexist

1 - 18 of 18 Posts