Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to cichlid tanks. I have 7 different lake Malawi cichlids in my 55 gallon tank.

1 Red Zebra, not sure male or female
1 Electric Yellow Lab, not sure male or female
1 Female Kenyi
1 Female Yellow Tail Acei
1 Elecrtic Blue Johanni, not sure of the sex
1 Female auratus
and an unknown peacock (forget the name sorry)

Anyways a girl from a well known fishstore in the area said that this is to many to put in a 55 gal tank, but another guy told me 12-15 which is true?

Secondly is it a bad idea to have 7 different types in the tank instead of pairing them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
i would say its a very bad idea to have that many species...especially the ones you have because they are really aggressive. You should pick a few groups and up the numbers of the groups to spread the aggression. The kenyi and auratus will b the biggest problem

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so if i cut the auratus and Kenyi and up the other five i should be good? how bout the number of fish in the tank?

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah i would so u would be good. go for like a 1 male to 4 female ratio. Also you might want to get rid of the peacock too. He might get harassed

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
A 55g is on the very-small side for Acei. The peacock won't work with those mbuna - red zebras and electric blues are too aggressive. Red zebras WILL hybridize with yellow labs. Not sure what you mean by EBJohanni... Are you talking about mainganos? A lot of fish have that name.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
If you are going mixed genders with 3 species, 15 will work depending on the species. If you are going all-male with one of each 8 fish would work better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i actually think the EB johanni is a Melanochromis Johannii which now i find is extremely aggressive, the Electric blue was its title at the store.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Females can be aggressive, but that is not the worry here. Because there ARE females in the tank the males will fight over them. Also because there are not ENOUGH females in the tank the males will harass them until they die or become sick and infect the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts