Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A 90GL C.A S.A CICHLID TANK WITH ABOUT 32 1-3 FISH
AND I WILL SOON BE NEEDEING A QUALITY ALGIE EATING PLECO FISH THAT WHOULD BE A GOOD WORKER AND STAY ALIVE WITH ALL THOSE CONVICTS OSCARS FIREMOUTHS SALVINIS TEXAS ETC ETC,...

ANY SUGGETIONS FOR A GOOD HARDY AND HARD WORKING ALGIE EATER THAT WOULD BE COMPATABLE

REGARDS

:fish:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
bristlenose pleco or rhino pleco. Very good algae eaters.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
1. Turn your caps off please. It is considered the equivalent of yelling on the internet.

2. 32 Convicts, Oscars, Texas, Firemouth... in a 90 gallon? Really? I think your bigger worry is how you are going to obtain an additional 6-8 tanks of this size to properly house these fish. You are massively overstocked.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Fogelhund said:
1. Turn your caps off please. It is considered the equivalent of yelling on the internet.

2. 32 Convicts, Oscars, Texas, Firemouth... in a 90 gallon? Really? I think your bigger worry is how you are going to obtain an additional 6-8 tanks of this size to properly house these fish. You are massively overstocked.
I was thinking the same thing :thumb:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well I think a good old chinese algae eater is an excellent grounds keeper, but he would instantly get eaten in your scenario. I would probably go with a pleco of some sort. Just my dos centavos. :wink:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Adrian101 said:
Thats a typo surely. Would they even fit? Is there any water in with them :)
I don't think it's a typo it's on there twice. That's pretty gnarly. In my experience algae eaters aren't all that great to rely on for algae clean up anywho. They are neat fish and yes they eat some algae but they also add waste and dont keep the glass shimmering. And with 32 fish in a 90 gal I think you'll need one pig of an algae eater.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I use Zebra Nerites (snails). They work well and dont reproduce.

...Bill

·
Registered
291 Posts
I also prefer snails. i have leopard and tiger nerite snails and once my LFS gets zebra ones in... i'll have those too. I find they do very well with algae and you don't get long strands of poop everywhere. They do leave white snail deposits in places but I can deal with that.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Riceburner said:
a big plec would help/survive....after adjusting the population.
Nice Gibby Riceburner :)

They are excellent algae eaters even at full size. But you definitely need to move out some fish.
first

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a Chinese algae eater with my cons and red devil. He has been in there for months now and only gets attacked if he goes near the baby cons or in the rds territory. He keeps it clean. :thumb:

·
Registered
159 Posts
You're WAY overstocked. Your algae will come from super elevated nitrate levels. Start doing massive water changes now (think 50-80% 2x a week) and cut down your stock. Evan after you cut down stock you're going to want to be doing a water change of that size at least once a week.

If you want a pleco I would go with a common as they are pretty indestructible. However, this fish will be eating zucchini more than algae. Royal plecos are also tanks. Both appreciate some driftwood in their diet - the royal will destroy it however, so don't put expensive pieces in there.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
You will definately need to get rid of some fish. CA/SA cichlids such as you have get big and are very aggressive and territorial. I take it that 32 1-3 fish means 32 1-3" fish. At this size you may not be overstocked.....but that is not gonna last more then a few months before you become severely overstocked as these fish grow fast. I supose if they are mostly convicts, 32 fish is not as bad as it sounds, but an oscar and a texas become very big fish. Both of these will eventually attain the weight of many, many smaller fish and will put a much greater load on your tank. My advice is to limit each species to one: 1 oscar, 1 texas, 1 salvini, 1 firemouth, 1 convict. If your really set on more fish keep a few more convicts (but really that is probably not the best idea with what you have already!).
For a bottom feeder/algae eater, CAE (chinese algae eater), BN pleco, and common pleco have all done well in my cichlid tanks, IME. Any of these can be quite affective algae eaters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts