Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 36G tank and I don't leave my light on all the time. I struggle and battle with the algea growth in my tank. I also do 50% water change every week. Please give me some advice. My light is on for about an hour or two at the most. That's when I feed them.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
What are your test results for nitrate and phosphate?

What color is the algae...rusty brown or green? How long has your tank been established?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My tank has been setup for about a year now. Can't test those water parameters now. I'll need to buy the test kits first.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wouldn't bother buying tests it's algae it's uses phosphate nitrates ammonia and light. You've got an abundance of one or more of those. I'd assume you don't use a light timer you forget sometimes to turn them off? You have sunlight hitting the tank even ambient? What about room lighting a lamp burning five six hrs a night? Running a year your stones (if you have them) got a buildup of organics under them? Two hrs is pretty short duration I'd rule that out unless it's maybe a 500w mh. Add a little salt if your fish will tolerate it. Cut the food a tad, leave the light off completely a few days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts