Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am currently cycling a 55 gallon tank which I am making into a malawi mbuna tank. My question is, is there some sort of algea eater that I can safely mix in with mbunas, so far I got a mix of a yellow lab, Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos , Pseudotropheus saulosi, and one other, I am not sure about the type, might be an Iodotropheus sprengerae. I am going to add a fair amount more mbunas to it, but those are what the tank is starting out with.

ps-also suggestions on compatable chichlids to go with those would be great, I looked at the cooker cutter things, and the compatability charts and all that, but there are so many unmentioned chichlids, I wanna see what people are actually keeping with them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
BN Pleco all the way!

I love mine...she was the last to be added to the tank. My mbunas went up to mess with her when I first added her and she turned around and sent them all swimming the opposite direction. They tried it one more time and the same thing happened and they haven't even looked at her since.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I suggest adding the pleco at the same time as you add the cichlids. I added an albino bristlenose a few months after adding my cichlids and they ripped her to shreds. :(

(I have Cyno. sp. white top hara and Ps. saulosi).

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
BN plecos do the best on algae clean up, and won't outgrow your tank.

What are you wanting out of the tank?

Do you want to breed? If so, you don't need anymore species, just build breeding groups from the species you already have. (Post a pic of the unknown over in the unidentified forum and I'm sure someone will tell you what you've got.)

If you want one of this and one of that, then I would suggest going all male with the tank. If you don't, they will crossbreed.

Kim

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello. I also keep bristlenose plecos,plus in one tank we have a golden algae eater,and they both do an awesome job!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Chinese algae eaters can be very nasty when they mature, and have also been known to attach to fish and attempt to suck the slime coat off of them...

If this is what you have - and that is the common name in alot of stores, sweetsummerrose, keep a close eye on it!

Kim

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks for all the speedy responses people, that really helps. I will make sure to post pictures of the mystery fish once I take it home, the fish store has it on hold while my tank is cycling, and they dont let people take pictures inside the store. Btw, we would love to have this tank be established as a breeding tank, so we were planning on have some little groups of just a couple different types.

since you have all been so helpful, i might as well ask something else. Are there any types of dwarf or small algea eaters that can be put in a planted 10 gallon tank with a pair of apistogrammas. And, is there anything I should know about adding mbunas to a tank with some already in it, to reduce agression and such.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You can add a BN pleco to an Apisto tank, but you might have problems at spawning time. They could eat the eggs. I keep BN with my Bolivian rams and never have any problems with them, it's just something to be aware of. They grow very slowly, and usually max out at 4 inches. I use 10G tanks to breed my BN in, so I can assure you that the size of the tank isn't a problem.

As far as adding mbuna, make sure you always add more than one. If the aggression is severe, you can also try rearranging the rock/territories when introducing new fish.

Kim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts