Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Is it possible that the Hakari Algae wafers I feed my Pleco (10") and my Silver Dollar (4") are contributing to the brown slimy algae that clogs the filters in my Emperor 400 filter? Are they a live algae?

I drop 2 wafers a day in the tank. One distracts the Silver Dollar while the other sinks to the bottom for the Pleco to feed on. The tank is a 29 gallon, not in the sun, only a few (5) other small tetras but the filters need to be changed every two weeks because they are clogged with a medium dark brown slime.

I'm going to take the tank completely apart in a few weeks, it's been 10 years, and I want to change the filter from that Emperor, that I never liked, to an Eheim 2213 but not if I have to disassemble it every 2 weeks to clean.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
714 Posts
Is it possible that the Hakari Algae wafers I feed my Pleco (10") and my Silver Dollar (4") are contributing to the brown slimy algae that clogs the filters in my Emperor 400 filter? Are they a live algae?
nope, their completely dead...the only way they will contribute to algae growth is by adding extra nutrients into the water, creating a food source for the algea.

What I think may be your problem here is the pleco. A 10 inch pleco is going to be producing a lot of waste, and is why I think your filter is usually so clogged.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Manoah Marton said:
nope, their completely dead...the only way they will contribute to algae growth is by adding extra nutrients into the water, creating a food source for the algea.

What I think may be your problem here is the pleco. A 10 inch pleco is going to be producing a lot of waste, and is why I think your filter is usually so clogged.
+1, especially in a 29g

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jammos said:
+1, especially in a 29g
Bummer. I've had this fish for over 12 years now. There's no way I'm going to give him up and I can't get a larger tank.

I guess if I hook up the new Eheim, I should probably also keep the Emperor running or just forget about the Eheim altogether. The Emperor does a good job, I've just never liked it and if frequent media changes are in order, it's easier on a HOB than a canister.

Eric

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hook up the Eheim!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts