Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..so Here's my problem. My aquarium had been shut down since last August. I'm now getting around to setting it all back up again. I've put in new substrate (Playsand). Build a new sump with a new pump. Built new overflows, etc. Its finally up and running and has been for the last week with nothing in it. No fish, no plants, just water and sand. I started with a little patch of this white Algae in a corner of my tank. My magnetic scraper thing wouldn't take care of it so I took a razor blade to it and got rid of it. The next day it was back..I repeated the process. However, it seems that its getting worse and worse and every day its back caked onto the inside of my glass. I've never seen algae that is so hard to get rid of. I've treated my tank twice with Algae Fix and that hasn't done anything. The only idea I've had is to start cycling my tank with some algae eaters and snails.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Here is a quick Cell Phone Camera Pic of what it looks like. Sorry its not the best quality, its what I had handy.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Could it perhaps be bacteria of some kind. What characteristics have you narrowing it down to algae?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I don't know how I would tell the difference between a bacteria vs. an algae. What would I do to get rid of this if it is a bacteria?

·
Registered
292 Posts
it looks like residue from the substrate...
Heres a shot of mine the day after i set my tank up...

I just used a normal scrubber pad and it came right off.

I had to do it daily for a week or so...

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 55g gets these small clear algae blooms now and again but are easily taken care of with a algae scrubber. But im in agreement with the fact that its probably substrate gunk

·
Registered
14 Posts
id be curious about the playsand and find out more about where u got it from and if it had anything in it.

Are the fish doing ok? and have you put anything in ur sump?

·
Registered
292 Posts
people normally get play sand at home depot or lowes...

I personally am not a fan of it because of how hard it is to clean. I like pool filter sand (PFS).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kewlkatdady: Thats exactly what mine looks like down near the water return. I have to take a razor blade to it to get it off the glass though. My magnetic scrubber just doesn't get it done. I've tried using a coarse scrubbing pad and I can't get enough elbow grease to remove it either. Its just like a white powder that is everywhere.

I got the sand from Fleet Farm and I rinsed it for about 40 minutes until the water ran clear. It could be substrate gunk. I have put some of that fine felt stuff as a prefilter in my sump so hopefully some of that will get cleaned out. kewlkatdady: did you ever manage to get rid of all of your white gunk or did it just settle out back into the substrate?

I'm just now floating some ottos and some snails, these will be the first inhabitants so hopefully they do well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts