Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something that I found interesting is that a couple weeks before adding ammonia to start the cycle and about a week after I put the rocks in place I saw a small white, semi-transparent thing that was attached to the surface of some rocks and a fake little plant. It looked like a thick spider web and it was hard to see if you weren't looking for it. When floating it looked like fish food flakes but in white color. Any idea? Fungus? Algae? I have some pictures that I will post on this topic and/or a new topic very soon. The day the cycle finished, there was one of those things floating in a corner that was really big it almost looked like 2 pieces of cotton. Any clue?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
You mentioned that it looked like food flakesy but white. Sometimes when I shut my filters off and back on again, white flakey stuff will shoot out of the outtake tube. This is from a build up of bacteria that collects and clumps in the tubes. The sudden rush of water sometimes causes to dislodge pieces and shoot them into the tank. Are your filters brand new or have they been running before? Just an idea.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a wet/dry. the pumo is about 5 months old, same for the filter pad and sponges. Bio balls are old but I cleaned them with bleach about 6 months ago when I bought another tank that came with the sump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts