Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am assuming this is algae growing on my aragonite substrate? It’s only in certain spots where they are landscaping high points. I give extra attention stirring/vacuuming these areas during weekly water changes. It doesn’t seem to be getting worse but should I be doing something to stop it now? Definitely don’t want it to get out of control.
The tank does get some morning sunlight. I’ve stopped using the lights 100%. There is no algae on my glass. All inhabitants are healthy
Plant Grass Automotive tire Automotive exterior Soil

Plant Window Organism Grass Wall

Thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
Wow, that is one seriously deep-looking aragonite substrate bed! :oops:
I'm guessing that the algae is forming up on the glass and aragonite rocks that face the sunlight? And yes.... that would be kind of a nuisance to clean that sort of thing, as you have to dig down into the substrate to get at it.
So, ideas?
- Maybe use less aragonite so it isn't as deep and piled up so high on the glass?
Full Disclaimer: I've never used aragonite as a substrate in any of my tanks.
  • Replace the aragonite with pool filtration sand?
  • Install a black masking strip (approximate thickness of the aragonite substrate) across the front/bottom of the tank, and don't worry about it?

·
Administrator
41,505 Posts
I agree with making the sand not so deep. But likely it is growing on the glass areas and not throughout the substrate. Just keep siphoning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts