Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my tank has been set up for about 6 months. It was an upgrade from my previous. All is going well but lately algae has been building and building. It’s now over the rocks and all over my 3D back ground.

I have the lights on for around 6 hours in the evening the rest of the time lights are off. I have one BN in there but he doesn’t seem that active. Just not sure what to do really, never had many issues with algae growing.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or ideas on how to reduce/get rid of it.

thanks
World Organism Marine invertebrates Pet supply Fish supply

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Are you referring to the brown stuff growing everywhere? Is it rather easy to brush off with your fingers? If so, it sounds like diatoms which are common in newer setups like yours.

Check out the article Brown algae, Diatoms for a more in depth explanation. I think most of us, including myself, just live with it and just clean the front and maybe the side glass so we can view our fish.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll see if it brushes off with my hands on my next water change. Would this still happen even though the tank was used when I collected it? It was only shut down 24 hours before I got it. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Did you use the original substrate?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I added my old sand from my old tank that I shut down. I have added some maybe 3 kilos of new sand to the existing sand….as it’s a larger tank.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This has only started maybe around the time I added the extra sand. Could this be the reason? Also will it clear on its own? It looks really bad today

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thinking about it I did also remove some of my bio media as I am slowly swapping out to Bio home ultimate.
I have two external filters, 1 x FX6 and 1 x 406 both externals had old media in and I removed 1 kilo from the FX6 and added in 1.5 kilos of new bio home ultimate, I also added some live bacteria to kick start the new bio media. I left all the other media and biological media in both the filters which had been set up for about a year. My water parameters are fine….tested a few days ago at 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and around 5 ppm nitrates.
Could this small change to new bio media caused the brown algae? Or a combination of this and the added new sand? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
It looks fine to me, algae makes the tank look natural. The diatoms will dissipate after several months or so...yes it is likely because of the new substrate. But when the diatoms are gone, the green and other colors of algae will arrive, so set your expectations accordingly.

Reactions: jeb5573

·
Registered
23 Posts
Give it time. A 6 month old tank will do this brown bloom. It should go away in another month or so. Especially if you have new filter media breaking in.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear what your saying but this tank was only shut down 24 hours and then I got it and set it back up.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
But you added substrate. Allow six months from that date.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts