Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 60 gallon cichlid tank and 20 gallon tetra and etc tank. I have been fighting algae for months now. I removed all the rocks and decorations in the cichlid tank and scrubbed all rocks , glass, and vacuumed gravel Saturday. Looked amazing. Now week later and my gravel is already green tint. Not much on glass it all starts towards bottom of tank. Running marineland 350 and beams work led. I have had several aquariums over 20 years and never had so much issues with algae. Only running light for 6 hours as well and not near window. I'm really starting to think it's my tap water. Cause water changes seem to make it worse. Any suggestions? Was thinking ro system but then u have to add minerals back and pH issues. Maybe putting filter on tap water? Please help im lost

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
Algae usually does not grow on the substrate too much...more common on the glass and rocks.

Your description did sound like blue-green algae (not really algae at all) which can come off in sheets. The treatment for that is different than other types of algae.

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
I can mostly only see the algae below the substrate line. Where it is growing out in the middle of the substrate does it have height? Like fuzzy grass?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No fuzz. And honestly it looks a bit better than yesterday. Yesterday the substrate almost all looked green instead of white and black. There is algae patches as well on loower glass near substrate. This is how it kind of starts. From below substrate on glass and if I don't clean it every week or sometimes every couple days it will progressively start looking green farther up glass and on top of rocks. I have 5 nerite snails but they refuse to work until all lights are out. But they don't seem to touch substrate. Cichlids sift through it some.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is pics of my daughters tank. It has had issues with algae as well but more greenish tinted water. Will get green tint with in a day of changing half water to try to clean it up

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
Does your tap water test positive for ammonia or nitrate or phosphate?

What are the test results from your tank water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Google cyanobacteria. If that is what you have, treat it with Erythromycin.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need to order test kit this week for phosphate. Going to take samples to LFS in meantime of both tap water and tank water. But if tap water is issue not sure what I do to fix that

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
It is not likely tap water...those chemicals are toxins and should not be in drinking water.

The cyanobacteria is not algae...it is bacteria thus the medication. Once it is gone you determine why you were getting it and it never comes back.

The green tint makes me think algae bloom and possibly excess nutrients in the water like nitrates.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As for the green tint water in the small tank. I had two filters on it at one time for awhile thinking maybe the biowheel wasn't doing good enough job of supplying bacteria to support tank. I'm running aqua clear 50 now on it which I would think is plenty for 20 gallon with 7 small tetras and GLO shark. Been set up for months. I use sea chem prime to treat tap water and north fin food. Only feed once a day and they eat all of it in both tanks. So I guess testing tap water is best start. What can I do if tap water shows bad for. Was strange as well that couple weeks ago some independent company put flyer on doors in our neighborhood for free tap water test. Lol

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
Call your water authority.

But we need test results from the tank as well. The bacteria in the filter remove ammonia and nitrite but create nitrate. Excess green in water or in the form of algae suggests too much fertilizer...nitrate.

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
Make sure you test yourself with liquid reagents. Don't let the LFS do your testing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes im ordering the API freshwater kit with liquid regant and API phosphate tester to test tap for phosphates as well. Trying something I read in the meantime for the tetra tank and the green water. Did 20 percent water change. Then keep lights off for 3 days and repeat water change. If comes back repeat. What do you recommend for the bacteria treatment for cyanobacteria in tetra tank

1 - 20 of 37 Posts