Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all i wasnt sure where to post this question so if a mod wants to move it, thanks :) Now to my question. Are there any algae eaters that dont live or hide on the bottom and arent that aggressive. Open to inverts but they have to be on the large side. Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
Otto's are the best algae eaters on the market and they are verry peaceful and best kept in groups of 6-10. They are verry social. I have 20 of them in my 40 breeder planted tank.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
SAE's are hands down the best algae eating fish you can buy. They even eat types of algae that most other fish won't touch. They like to school and do best in a small group, even though they get to be a medium sized fish they have tiny mouths and can only eat the smallest of fry. They're one of my favourite fish, I have a group of 4 in with my trophs right now, some of which are 4 years old. :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Darkside said:
SAE's are hands down the best algae eating fish you can buy. They even eat types of algae that most other fish won't touch. They like to school and do best in a small group, even though they get to be a medium sized fish they have tiny mouths and can only eat the smallest of fry. They;re one of my favourite fish, I have a group of 4 in with my trophs right now, some of which are 4 years old. :)
Agreed, SAE's are best for algae eater when it comes to a large variety of algae. I took mine out of my planted tank, because I felt they distrated from the other fish. Now I have staghorn growing. Otto's are great but they seem to leave certain types of algae alone.

·
Registered
134 Posts
what are sae's

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I use hillstream loaches. They don't get big and have no defense except they are quick. No drag in them if any at all. Mine goes to the bottom every once in a while but spends most of the time on the glass and near strong currents. Best algae eater I have owned ,but have never had a sae.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got an sae and he is brilliant. Stands up to my cichlids and keeps the glass and plants spotless. Great little guy and does his job brilliantly. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts