Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
What kind of algea is it (What does it look like)? Some fish are better at eating certain kinds of algae. Alot of aqaerists use Bristle nose plecos. Some use Nerite Snails. My suggestion is to buy one of those magnet algae cleaners and use it to clean the front glass and let everything else in the tank get covered in algae but then I think algae looks cool. I would guess that the problem is your lighting is too intense. Cut back on the lighting by leaving it on for a shorter period or removing a bulb. Either that or there are too many nutrients available for the algae to use. Maybe you have fallen behind on your maintenance routine. Try doing more frequent water changes.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I've never had luck with any type of scavanger/algae eater. Bristlenose are recommened but I'm 0 for 4 in keeping them with mbuna. I stoped trying and just started scraping the glass more.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I was also 0 for 3 with BN in a mbuna tank. However, a rhino has been doing great for about a year.

Instead of looking for a way to clean up after the mess, try to prevent the mess. I had horrible algae in this mbuna tank, turns out a few hours less on the lights and the algae disappeared. Went from 8 hour cycles to 5 hour cycles. Adios algae.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts