Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thining of putting an algae eater into my tank. would a bristle nose pleco make a good choice to help clean up a little? or would i be better off without one?

I have 7 cichlids in a 29 gal tank (as of right now) i couldn't convince my fiance to get a 55 gal to start. but maybe when they grow a little. they are all 1-1 1/2" long now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
If you do go with a pleco that is the kind I would get. They dont get as huge as the common plecos which really poop ALOT and seem to get "lazy" when they are big. They dont clean much anymore. Seem that the BN's do a better job anyhow and they can get in your rock piles to clean where the larger ones can't.

Ohh ya also you get to see them during the day since they are active more than my common pleco and not out only at night time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
If you do go with a pleco that is the kind I would get. They dont get as huge as the common plecos which really poop ALOT and seem to get "lazy" when they are big. They dont clean much anymore. Seem that the BN's do a better job anyhow and they can get in your rock piles to clean where the larger ones can't.

Ohh ya also you get to see them during the day since they are active more than my common pleco and not out only at night time.
thats what i like to hear! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,006 Posts
JuiceyJay32 said:
i'm thining of putting an algae eater into my tank. would a bristle nose pleco make a good choice to help clean up a little? or would i be better off without one?

I have 7 cichlids in a 29 gal tank (as of right now) i couldn't convince my fiance to get a 55 gal to start. but maybe when they grow a little. they are all 1-1 1/2" long now
Some of this depends on the 7 cichlids that you have. Depending on what they are, they may not let each other live long, let alone a pleco of any kind. What exactly are you keeping?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,006 Posts
I wouldn't add anything else to this tank. Let them grow out to adults and see how it's going aggression wise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
Ok I have an empty 29 and wanted to attempt to these kind of fish. Is this set up ok or would the numbers have to be smaller? Not to steal this thread just thought I would add.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flippercon said:
Ok I have an empty 29 and wanted to attempt to these kind of fish. Is this set up ok or would the numbers have to be smaller? Not to steal this thread just thought I would add.
I think it's a good amount, but if anything, maybe one or two less unless you have a lot of caves and places to hide and places for the fish to claim territory.

I'm working on building up the rocks for caves. I just changed over to sand and the fish LOVE it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
des said:
I recently added a Pleco to my tank. It's found a confortable spot on the lace rock and has been there all day. Perhaps this is how it adjusts to the tank.

I have another tank with a corycat fish and it's a lot more active.
I did go get a little albino bristlenose pleco and the fish go up to it and are curious...but they aren't interested, even when it's gone into claimed territory
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top