Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I'm sure they are you just don't see it. Algae eaters usually won't keep a tank completely free of algae. Especially if you only have 1 or 2 algae eaters in the tank. Also your lighting or nutrients in the tank could be causing more algae than the eater can eat. If you are talking mostly about algae on your glass, the best way is to scrape it off. If you mean algae on your rocks and other decorations, I leave mine cause it looks more natural.

·
Registered
766 Posts
rgr4475 said:
Also your lighting or nutrients in the tank could be causing more algae than the eater can eat.
This.

Is there sunlight on the tank? Too many lights? What are you running?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not really any sunlight. the light just a regular light from wal-mart and just your basic hang on filter
and sometimes i turn on the water pump.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
the only algae that I know of that will grow "on" java moss is algae like cyanobacteria and nothing will eat that sort of slimy bacteria...

can you post a pic of the algae?

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Hair algae can also grow on Java moss. Just about the best fish to keep the moss free of algae are lifebearers like swordtails, platys and even guppies. Unfortunately their life span in a cichlid tank tends to be short :D

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I agree a pic would be helpful. My nerites eat anything except cyano (which isn't algae).

Unfortunately their life span in a cichlid tank tends to be short
:lol: :lol: :lol: Cracked me up, Frank.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think the "algae eating" fish are over-rated. My SAE's were always first when it was chow time. My nertites are amazing, however. After two weeks, 25 of them licked clean my rock work showing colors I haven't seen for years.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
The best algae eating fish are not necessary the ones that are labeled in the store as 'algae eaters'. In my opinion SAEs are just darn ugly fish that nobody would buy unless they had some redeeming quality - which they don't have :lol:

BN plecos are pretty good at eating algae, and can be kept in a lot of different setups. But they scrape algae off larger surfaces, they won't get it off Java moss, for example. That's were lifebearers ccould come in handy. With their small mouth, they are perfectly suitable to keep the moss clean. Some wild strain Xiphophorus helleri would make great tanks mates for Kribs, assuming you have at least a 4' tank. I'd be reluctant to recommend them for a smaller tank, since X. helleri males can actually get pretty aggressive. I had a tank with those guys for a while, and used to transfer Java moss from my cichlid tanks to that setup for cleaning. They'd polish a baseball sized clump of gunked up moss within a few days.

In a smaller setup nerites might indeed be the way to go. Alternatively could try shrimp, but the question is what the Kibs will do when the shrimp mold. Larger ones like Amano shrimp might be ok though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Amano Shrimp. I have a group of 5 in my 29 gallon, and they keep the decor/plants spotless. They don't seem to like to clean glass, but everything else is gone over on a daily basis. My Apisto's don't touch the shrimp when the molt (I pull out a shell almost once a week), but I don't know what the Kribs will do.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have 2 rubber nosed plecos and one common. the algae is green and yes i will post pics. (if i can remember how). and what are SAEs?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
nothing alive will eat that... my solution is to add more water movement and that stops that mat from growing. Other folks use everything from anti-biotics to phosphate removing resins... Dont add ferts until you eliminate this slime.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts