Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently i have been looking up ways to get rid of my brown algae and have it change over to green algae. My tank has been set up for 3-4 years but i changed some things around and this brown algae is really making my tank look bad. For the entirety of the tank theres never been green algae at first i thought it might be the substrate and the silicates but its a well established tank so i dont think thats the issue.

The next step i think is to replace my lighting hoping that will have change the color of my algae. But im not positive on what to do, is there anyone who has some knowledge or experience on for this that can help?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
What is your water changing routine?
Do you add anything to your water like a buffer recipe?
Filtration?
Stock? (over or understocked)
How long do you leave your light on?
Pleco's? (even though they stay away from brown algea most of the time)
Water paramaters?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually do a bi-weekly water change at around 60-70%.

I only add salt to the water.

2x Ehiem 2217's, 1x Rena xp3

Decently stocked not over or under imo.

The light is on i think 12 hours a day.

No pleco in the main tank.

Haven't tested the water recently but i assume the nitrates are getting high, i havent done a WC in a week and a couple days.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You may want to cut back a little on the water changes for a bit, and maybe introduce some green algea to the tank. Adding the green algea and constantly cleaning the brown should give the green stuff a chance to establish itself and out compete the brown algea for the nitrates in your water. Then once the brown algrea is nomore, go back to your regular water changes . Just monitor your nitrates to insure they don't get out of hand during the process.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i had the same problem in my 29gal awhile back. it was the weirdest thing, i had a 29 and a 55 in the same room but for some reason the 29 always had brown algea and te 55 always had green. besides the stock (both were conservatively stocked) the only difference was the 29 got more direct sunlight. this may have nothing to do with it but its my own observation. also my neighbor had the same problem with one of his tanks and he said it was phosphates. after he got the phospates in check, the brown algea seemed to disappear.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Is this a planted tank? If not, why do you have lights on for so long? Shut off the lights except when viewing and the algae should go away. You could add a pleco temporarily. Mine (bristloneose) always ate brown algae. The odd thing is that brown algae is usually the first algae you get when a tank is set up and then it disappears, usually on its own. High nitrates and/or high phosphates could be your problem, along with lighting . . .

·
Registered
209 Posts
had a rubber nose pleco in mine. He/she ate the brown algie like a kid in a room full of candy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.