Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if it would be possibe to keep a sailfin pleco with my demasoni and yellow labs , cause I havr been told they aye excellent at keeping aquarium glass free from any algae If not could anyone suggest any fish that would be

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Your best bet for a living, breathing algae eater is a Bristlenose/Bushynose pleco.

But if you want super clean glass you generally need to scrape it by hand.

kevin

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thanx yeah just thought id get a fish that could help me a bit .... So u think bristlenose is the best option

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a gold nugget in my mbuna tank and he is about worthless when it comes to cleaning the glass but my blue phantom in my other tank does a great job and is very cool and the best part is hes out alot during the day which is alot different then most plecos. If ur looking for a clean tank i would strongly recommend them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bristlenose plecs.....have 3 in a 5ft tank with malawis...no problems and nice clean rock...the only down side is that you dont get to see much of them as they tend to come out at night...

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you get a bristlenose make sure you get one of size....at least one that can protect himself from your other fish. I was sold one that was on the small size, barely over an inch long, and he was picked on and eaten within a week.

This may be common sense, but I was a beginner and didn't know any better. I just bought a standard pleco today that is of medium size. Actually he is bigger than anything else in there. The store I went to today recommended always introducing a pleco along with other fish so the existing fish knows he belongs and don't pick on him.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
jaymore1 said:
I have a gold nugget in my mbuna tank and he is about worthless when it comes to cleaning the glass but my blue phantom in my other tank does a great job and is very cool and the best part is hes out alot during the day which is alot different then most plecos. If ur looking for a clean tank i would strongly recommend them.
I thought GN had to be kept in a ph range of 6.5-7.6 and soft water :-?

·
Registered
261 Posts
*** had him for 4months now and he does great in my mbuna tank with a ph of 8.2.

G

·
gold nuggets die.. pretty to look at.. garbage to buy.... i had a high fin pleco in with my africans and he did just fine.. granted he was huge like 6 inchs... now in with my plecos i have a small bristlenose 2inch.. an albino bristlenose 3.5 inch and an brown spotted orange seamed pleco 3 inch and they all do just fine... my africans could care less about them or the catfish or the botias

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got talked out of a pleco and into a chinese algae eater actually. I had a bushynose about 8 inches long and my kenyi killed him. *** had the chinese algae eater for a few months now and he eats way more algae than a pleco and hes way more active, quicker and tougher. Hes about 4 inches and bullies my big male sometimes, he doesnt take any ****.

G

·
hate to break the bad news to you but chinese algae eaters would much rather eat the actual food than the algae.. i also have a blue phantom in my tropical community tank dont really see him sucking on the glass much thou.... the royal plecos seem to eat a decent amount of algae but i had one in my high ph with the africans and it died.. got one in with my ca now and it seems fine... i hear rainbow sharks eat more algae than plecos do anyways... or get some snails... although the high ph would probly kill them.. i put a pleco and 4 big snails in my goldfish tank that was overrun with algae and its almost all gone now

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have to agree with NewNoise21 here. I have used Chinese Algae Eaters for algae cleaning for several years in my big tank without problems. The trick is to get a small one around 2 inches or so which can be found at almost any LFS for under a buck. I just give it back to the LFS when it appears to be growing large and mean and get a new small one. Mine spends the entire day roving around like a little Hoover vacuum cleaner, keeping all my rocks completely algae free and never interacting with the cichlids or catfish. Granted, I only need one to keep an entire 6' tank clear of algae. In a smaller tank, there may not be enough algae growth to keep a CAE fed and they end up going after other fishes' slime coats.

BN plecos aren't bad, either. I have a couple albino ones in another tank. They tend to get quickly killed and eaten by cichlids in my experience, however. It might help to get a normal BN instead of an albino, as the dark coloration won't attract as much attention from curious cichlids.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 4" bristlenose in my tank, and she does a great job of cleaning the algae up. Just make sure that if you get one its of fair size otherwise your cichlids will slowly but surely kill it off.

·
Registered
356 Posts
How big of a tank is he going in and what size can you get the sailfin's?

The sailfin's are a beautiful fish but grow quite large. A 2-3" juvi will be 6"+ in 8-12 months. My favorite in a large aquarium. Especially when they are cheap money. They are fantastic algae eaters and are active even when full size at roughly 20" for a male. Sailfins are also quite tough as pleco's go and the African's seem to leave them alone.

If you go the Ancistris route, make sure they are 3-4" at the very least if your main fish are still young. And make some caves that are tight so they can get away from the turbulance :)

Steve

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
I've had luck adding juvie BN at the same time as juvie mbuna. And I've also had a mature BN killed by lab fry. Too bad we can't teach them to hide. If they can survive long enough to get the idea initially...mine do fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts