Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mbuna tank is only 3 months old now and algae is starting to grow on the rocks. I keep lighting to a minimum, basically two hours in the morning and a few at night now that I've seen this happening.

I've read that they like feeding off the algae but I see no grazing on the rocks where the algae is growing. I understand it's not a bad thing but it is quite unsightly. Is there any way to get rid of the algae on the rocks?

Water is good: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20ish, ph 8.0 and weekly 50% water changes.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is certainly normal and I would suggest the promotion of it so the fish can graze on it. At first it may be an eye sore but over time it can take on a beautiful green and give your tank a very natural look.

If you definitely want it gone, I hear that plecos do a nice job of getting rid of it. I will let others comment more on that though. But I hope you let it stay. It is really fun to watch the fish do their thing with it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Cut down a bit on the amount of food at feeding and they will start to eat the algae; I only clean algae off of the glass now and have black, green and purple algae in my big tank. It's a nice addition to the aquascape in my opinion.

·
Registered
449 Posts
^^^^The glass was in need of cleaning in the above picture and the purple algae had just started to grow; it looks very nice with the growth and clean glass...^^^^

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Looks like diatoms to me, which is normal in a new tank. You can always add a BNP.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Count me in as another in favor of just letting it grow (except for the front glass)

In addition to the grazing aspect, I assume it's using nitrate and helping to keep nitrate levels lower.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you really find the algae an issue I would recommend some nerite snails. I have 20 or so in my 150 coupled with 5 syndo lucipinnis. I have minimal algae growth on glass or rocks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Morning said:
If you really find the algae an issue I would recommend some nerite snails. I have 20 or so in my 150 coupled with 5 syndo lucipinnis. I have minimal algae growth on glass or rocks.
^^^This! BNP's and nerite snails are the "solution to algae pollution." :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts