Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've never seen any, and I've raised alot of Yellow lab fry.

Do they have red eyes?

What are they housed with?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a trio of albino yellow labs that I got from a LFS. The black pigment is missing. Where the black pigment would be in the dorsal, it appears almost clear. I spoke with Ad Konings last week regarding these fish. He has seen them before (not in the wild). He does not believe them to be a hybrid as some have suggested. His gut instinct is that they have been line bred so much that a "genetic deformity" has arisen.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
kyoshi,
Were your yellow labs in a tank to themselves? If not, what other species were in with them?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Dewdrop said:
kyoshi,
Were your yellow labs in a tank to themselves? If not, what other species were in with them?
Good questions.

Dave said:
That fish does not look like L. caeruleus, but it does resemble the all-yellow lab, which is a hybrid with red zebras. I suspect something similar here.
I'm in agreeance (this a word?) with Dave on this one.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
The pic that FishandFire posted does have the red eyes of an albino. I have a fish that I think might be a red zebra and lab cross. Mine doesn't have any design in the dorsal fin like the fish in the pic.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
FishandFire said:
He does not believe them to be a hybrid as some have suggested.
I would be very surprised to hear someone head to the least likely probability over much more probable and simple explanations. Can you please share exact wording that you received from Mr. Konings? My hunch is that you've missed something in what he was trying to convey... perhaps he said that they "may" not be hybrids? May would be an important choice of a word.

Whenever I've seen these all yellow labs in the hands of breeders who bred more than one generation (red eyes or no red eyes), genetic throw backs in subsequent generations have been very evident. This proves the fish are hybrids, so really now we are simply trying to clarify what was mentioned regarding the all-yellow labs.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Dave said:
That fish does not look like L. caeruleus, but it does resemble the all-yellow lab, which is a hybrid with red zebras. I suspect something similar here.
Possibly even a cross between snow white socolofi and Yellow lab...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Right Kim. That's why I was wondering if the OP had any other fish in his tank with the yellow labs. Perhaps the OP has some other albino species in the tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts