Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on your experience, do you guys think albino socolofi (or regular socolofi, for this matter) would be compatible in a group of 3?

Just looking for an attractive, docile, monomorphic species to add to my tank, but I don't think I have room for another species entirely. I currently have 14 dems, 5 red zebras, and 6 polits in a 75 gal.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
My experience with them says their conspecific aggression is underrated. I went from 7 to 2 in about 2 weeks. First time keeping them though.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I had 5 in a tank of 36 others. One was smaller and never got enough to eat (it wasn't pushy enough).

Due to re-organizing, I sold the remaining 4. They were smaller than the rest of my fish and I had to choose.

I would do 4+

3 of any mbuna is asking for it.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
They are not docile but you have plenty of room for 1m:4f and that has worked for me. I had the regular ones...not albino so maybe the albinos are more docile.

The blue ones might be too close to your polit though.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
My albino soc did seem less aggressive, but again, they were smaller than the tank mates.

·
Registered
623 Posts
my albino socolofi is the most aggressive fish in my tank. bossing around my red and yellow zebra males nearly twice its size. Hes one of my favourites for his insane behavior. Hes not aggressive to any other fish for the most part and i have tiny little juvis of other fish in there with full grown males. Only times his true insane behavior comes out is it i switch up the territories.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had 3 albino socolofi in a mixed 100G cichlid tank for about a year. There were no issues, and they seemed pretty docile, even at 4". Thier tank mates were yellow labs, peacocks, haps, various Mbuna and Tropheus. I would never recommend this mix of fish, but the albino socolofi worked out great.

·
Registered
250 Posts
bmweiler09 said:
As expected, Im getting conflicting information. :lol:

I may give it a try sometime and see how it goes.
Mbuna are always an experiment. I've had good luck with my albino socolofi both times I've kept them. I have 11 in my tank right now, and they really stand out and are a nice addition to the blues and yellows. I would say start with no less than 6 so you can get a good ratio as they grow. You can order them for like $5 each plus shipping which is a great deal. I ordered 12 and plan to sell 6 or so as they get larger since the shipping was the majority of the cost.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fish_addiction said:
bmweiler09 said:

Mbuna are always an experiment. I've had good luck with my albino socolofi both times I've kept them. I have 11 in my tank right now, and they really stand out and are a nice addition to the blues and yellows. I would say start with no less than 6 so you can get a good ratio as they grow. You can order them for like $5 each plus shipping which is a great deal. I ordered 12 and plan to sell 6 or so as they get larger since the shipping was the majority of the cost.
The reason I was wanting three is be because I don't think I have room for another 1:4 species in my tank. If I had a 6 footer there would be no problem :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
bmweiler09 said:
fish_addiction said:
bmweiler09 said:

The reason I was wanting three is be because I don't think I have room for another 1:4 species in my tank. If I had a 6 footer there would be no problem :D
In a 75G tank I think you should have no problem adding 6 juvies. Just remove the most aggressive males as they grow. I never saw mine show any aggression towards other species, just each other, but the one out of three that was picked on was tough enough to make it. I say go for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts