Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if I should put some Albino socolofi in place of either auratus or kenyi?

Which one should I take out and put in their separate tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
I would vote auratus off the island. And stock the socolofi with 1m:4f. :thumb:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL DJRansome are you sure you don't have anything personal against the poor auratus???

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
Nothing personal at all...just do a search.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just kidding DJR...

I know what you mean...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I haven't kept auratus or kenyi, but I have albino socolofi and I am happy with them. The dom male is the boss of my tank (maingano, yellow labs and acei) but nobody gets hurt. The pure white is a nice contract with my maingano and acei.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you are right the white is lovely.

Saw the picture in the profile and the fish had black eye whereas the juveniles that I saw had red eyes.

Does the color of the eyes change when they grow up?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have had mine for about 8 months and they have grown from 1.5" to 2" juvies to currently 3.5" to 4" young adults. The eye color has always been red. I don't think these fish can make any black pigment at all.

·
Registered
554 Posts
if their eyes are black, they're not albino

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
I believe albino can be correctly applied even if the albino traits apply to only part of the organism. Albino indicates a lack of pigment and the fish body lack's pigment but not the eyes.

Keep in mind that many/most albino fish on the market today may be hybrids (the lack of pigment is bred into them as opposed to being a natural albino from the lake). So think of the albino in this case as being more of a trade name or marketing name than a scientific desgination.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pack_rat looks as if you have got hybrids ;-)

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
DJRansome said:
I believe albino can be correctly applied even if the albino traits apply to only part of the organism. Albino indicates a lack of pigment and the fish body lack's pigment but not the eyes.
Yes, albino is a catch all phrase for any lack of normal pigmentation. Not all white animals are albino, but all white animals where white is not the normal. There are many people who have begun coining new terms to separate albinos into "types" of albinism, but that doesn't change the fact that they are albinos.

I've seen some creative new terms... one term that I could see becoming established in leucistic.
It could be a useful term because it's definition has a clear separator from what we all think of when we use the term albino. E.g. what was once called a "sport" can now be called leucistic.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Number6 for the detailed clarification.

Love it when experts share their knowledge with novices like me...

·
Registered
847 Posts
monisaab said:
Then how come the picture on the following page has black eyes?

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1786

This put me in doubt as to which one is the right color.
I think in that first picture it is still red eyes. It's just far away and kinda in the shadow so it's harder to see. I have heard of albino socolofi with black eyes though...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Super Turtleman.

·
Registered
169 Posts
DJRansome said:
Keep in mind that many/most albino fish on the market today may be hybrids (the lack of pigment is bred into them as opposed to being a natural albino from the lake).
I don't understand this statement. Albinism is always a recessive trait so the only way to produce a population of albinos is to breed two albinos together. I suppose you could introduce the albino trait into a population of socolofi by crossbreeding with an albino of another species, but why is that more likely to have been the case than locating an albino socolofi to start with? There had to be a naturally occurring albino individual somewhere back in the line, so why would we say that most albinos are hybrids? Are we saying that albinos are so rare in the lake that all the albino socolofi, zebras and whatever else on the market today were produced from a single albino something or other that was discovered many years ago?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
pack-rat said:
I don't understand this statement. Albinism is always a recessive trait so the only way to produce a population of albinos is to breed two albinos together.
This is not actually true... my favorite story being the two albino bristlenose plecos that produce all colored fry :wink:

pack-rat said:
I suppose you could introduce the albino trait into a population of socolofi by crossbreeding with an albino of another species, but why is that more likely to have been the case than locating an albino socolofi to start with?
Considering I have met 2 different breeders who were crossbreeding to introduce the albino gene into new species, but have never even heard of a wild albino being exported from the lake, I'd have to agree that it's much more likely that the albinos in our hobby were from crossbreeding than wild caught... just saying.

I do think some are from natural mutations as well. I've met one breeder who "may" have had a natural mutation and ended up with an albino.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DJRansome said:
I would vote auratus off the island. And stock the socolofi with 1m:4f. :thumb:
I have a 30" X 15" x 15" tank that I initially put the juveniles in when I brought them in January. Should i keep the Auratus in that? I have got 6 of them all around 1.5 to 2 inch size?

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
Why not trade them in on the socolofi? I just can't bring myself to recommend you keep them in a 30" tank. :( From reading posts by fishkeepers way more experienced than me, it's difficult enough to manage auratus aggression in a 75G.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts