Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 x albino gresheki in a 150L hex tank also with a male and female Elongatus Mpanga which have about 6 fry. Unfortunately the albino's have eaten 2 of the fry which were about 1 cm long, I want to take out the albino's and put them in my 125g African tank. How can I catch these guys without taking out all the rock work and disturbing the fry to much? is the a fish trap I can make or something??

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use this as a trap sometimes

What he does is he cuts the top 1/3 off of a big soda bottle, and puts it upside down back into the other 2/3. I've found it works well if you bait it with cichlids with peas or pellets by putting them in the bottom 2/3, but sometimes they'll just pick at the bottle for an hour. You also can't control which fish go in, but i've caught a couple fish with it, worth a shot :)

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I've caught plenty of fish with those things, but never the ones I wanted. Only two species, and your odds are much better.

Worthless for catching holding females, this weekend's project!

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Resign yourself to taking out all the rocks. :thumb: It seems to always end that way anyway...easier to accept it. :thumb:

If you have lots of open substrate (I don't) you could try catching them while they sleep.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm not a fan of traps. Only ever used one once. It was a soda bottle type. I used it to try and catch a stressed fish but it caught 2 fish.

The victim and the aggressor. No prizes for guessing the outcome.

I'm like what DJ said, resigned to taking out the rocks and I just do that whenever I have to catch fish now.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Agreed on taking out the rocks. When I take them out, I also use the opportunity to do a good clean where I normally may not access during regular water changes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys, i got the soda bottle thing happening but none seem to be interested in it.... out come the rocks this weekend.... a good vacuum is needed anyways :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts