Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Have just added a couple more peacocks to my new tank today including a Aulonocara Sp - Golden Red Eye. The only trouble is that my dominant male Labidochromis Caeruleus has taken a complete dislike to him and is chasing him everywhere, gills flared, etc.

Is the purely colour aggression? In your opinion will this calm down or am I going to have to remove the new peacock? I was under the impression from reading around that the Labs should be quite a relaxed mbuna.

I also rearranged the tank today after having to remove everything to catch a couple of fish, so new territories will be being established I guess.

Fingers crossed it calms down in there,

Ian.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
You never can tell with all-male who is not going to like whom. It is someone different every day in my tank so far. :thumb:

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Dogtanian
You don't own an Aulonocara Sp - Golden Red Eye and you don't likely own a Labidochromis Caeruleus... :D

What you own is a Golden Red Eye Peacock (hybrid man made breed) which is no longer a true Aulonocara, and likely a yellow lab hybrid since the majority of the attractive LFS bought labs are hybrids with more aggressive mbuna like zebras. If the fish is all yellow, then that's a dead give away.

What this means for your tank is that you have to start treating these 2 fish as if they were more aggressive mbuna like a crabo! Re-arranging rocks was a good choice, but you may end up needing more rock or some sort of larger line of sight break. You might need to rehome one of the fish if you can't get them to co-exist... even a larger tank might be an option.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I had a yellow lab male that was huge, purchased from a breeder, and he was one of the most aggressive fish in my tank. (I lost him when my hubby got me new fish as a "surprise" and they were diseased, whiped me out...) You get your freaks in every breed.

Re-arrange your rockwork, and maybe add a few tall plants, or something to break up line-of-sight. If he still chases him, then you will probably have to re-home one of them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts