Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is it that albinos take forever to get big? what does them lacking pigment in their cells have to do with not growing fast? i know theres alot of you real smart scientist types on here figured you might know.. i have a group of eureka red jakes with the albino gene growing out and the 1 actual albino female is half the size of all the other females and 1/3 the size of the male

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
generally speaking, there are some health negatives that come along with the albinism trait but the biggest problem is that albino individuals get picked on by their growing tank mates and the stress slows their growth down considerably.

Albinos should be grown out apart from their normal colored siblings IMHO and IME.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm didnt even think of that... i watch and she doesnt really get picked on at all in there.. i have gold occie shellies in there too that are smaller than her.. i'll put her in one of my growout tanks thou thanx for the advice its not like shed even be thinkin about spawning yet shes still too small

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well that was helpful for me as well I too have an Albino and he was getting picked on even tho he was bigger then most of his tank mates so I switched him to another tank with smaller peacocks hopefully this will help in his growth

1 - 4 of 4 Posts