Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to keep albinos in my tank, but they seem to get picked on more.

I wonder if it's because they stand out so brightly? Has anyone else had difficulty keeping albinos in their tanks? I believe these are albino greshakei. I wonder whether I would have better luck with albino socolofi.

I have 1 blue female socolofi. I wonder whether they would hang out together since they are the same species even though they would be different colors?

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
Your experience is not unusual. White and blue socolofi would crossbreed. Remember that albinos are extremely rare in nature and most people believe the albinos available commercially are likely hybrids.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had an albino socolofi that got dumpstered by my other Mbuna. They really didn't like him at all. My thought is they pick on the albinos because they are weaker, and can't stick up for themselves. Now I have an albino Red Cap. He's doing pretty good, actually. The other fish leave him alone. But I suspect he has vision problems, especially when the tank light is on. I notice he seems to feed better when I turn the tank light off. He sure looks cool, but I suspect, as DJ said, albino fish are inbred hybrids with health issues.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
BlueSunshine said:
After 5 years and many albino fish later, we gave up. We refuse to buy albinos anymore, regardless how good they look.
Same here, I've tried alot over the years and no matter what they always waste away. It really sucks since the albino mooris are becoming more common and I really like them.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I have a group of albino Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis and I find that the survival rate of female fry is very low. The ones that do make it never seem to get very large.
These are not hybrids but are line bred fish.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Albinos are kinda handicapped to very handicapped, some do see very poorly, there is a reason very few albinos survive in nature. As said, they may also be inbred, reinforcing weak traits. Many Malawi albino cichlids may be hybrids, which doesn't make them weak necessarily, it is just easier for large breeders to cross the albino gene with another fish than wait to find a natural albino. Tangs are probably closer to pure since the species are not as closely related, but could still be minor hybrids.

Also the pale color may confuse normal males, maybe some interpret the bright pink-white color as dominant male color?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts