Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at a number of different members tanks, I have noticed that many people use air stones in their tank. Is this something I should I have? I have not seen anything that resembles gasping from any of my fish so I believe they are not oxygen starved but I want to make sure I am creating a healthy environment.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Personally i dont use an airstone. I think its personal choice - ie for aesethetics if you so desire. I know many species favour a high oxygen content but if you filter is adequate for your system i dont really see why you would need to supplement with an airstone. MY way around the oxygenation is to use a larger than necessary filter so i get great turnover and water agitation at the surface. If you have good agitation i shouldn't worry - although its nice that you are concerned enough to check :)

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Air stones can be a cheap effective way of increasing the oxygenation and carrying capacity of your tanks. (Filter bacteria use the oxygen to keep the ammonia and nitrites down) For sure not needed if you have more expensive ways of moving water about at the surface or driving the poop from the bottom into your filters. Generaly small one tank pumps are over priced and unreliable, this system makes a lot more sense in multiple tank set ups with just one big air blower driving multiple tanks. If things are fine then an airstone may not add much but in highly stocked multiple tanks they for sure make sence. :)
Also for surf zone fish like gobies they can give em the sorts of oxygen saturation they would normaly have and are adapted to. For lower zone fish they are of less use.
All the best James

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I know the filter I currently use is the fluval 205 which is basically rated to 45g I believe. My tank is 40g so it does its job. I guess I am just double and triple checking everything that I am doing right now to make sure it is as perfect as I can get. I also have a powerhead from a previous tank that I could install but I was told on this board that the filter creates enough movement that it wouldn't be required.

Thanks for the responses and I will definitely post some pics of my blue ocellatus. I need to get the camera out and see what I can do.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have been on the edge about using airstones myself. As a kid I thought it was a must have to keep fish!! I do stock heavily but I also almost always have filtration rates way above what is needed. For instance on a 29gallon tank I have a 350gph filter which means my tank completely cycles roughly 12X per hour if the filter does the stated job and most people will say it only needs to turn over 4-5X per hour. This also provides a much greater current and surface activity to further supplement oxygenation, and bacteria will only colonize to the amount of waste product available to feed off of, any extras would starve off so in theory my filter is not consuming all my oxygen.

I do still use an airstone though, I think it is a great way to provide extra current from the bottom up and it is a super great surface/high oxygen zone to help beneficial bacteria colonize on!!

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
With 4X gallons per hour (gph) hourly I had no oxygenation problems. When I went to 7X gph I was amazed at how much more debris the filters picked up! Really...like someone vacuumed my tank thoroughly overnight. Love having extra filtration. :thumb:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I use a Rena canister on my 40gal. I had no airstone when I set it up and had the spray bar set up vertically. There was very little surface agitation. One day, I looked at the tank to see all of my daffodils gasping at the surface. I added an air stone and haven't had a problem since. The bottom line is that you need surface agitation. If you filter is not providing it, then an air stone, circulator, or some other method must be used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts