Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm flying to Maryland and there's a fish dealer who has what I want. the question I have is can you bring fish back on a airline. They would be boxed with heat packs and anything else needed for a safe trip. Has anybody done this?
Thanks Bob

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Taking them as carry-on is basically a no-no these days, since no liquids are allowed. However, as long as you check them in, there should be no problem. In practice a lot depends on the security personnel you encounter on the day you check in. As long as a system is predictable, any ill-willed person can find a way around it. That's why it's understandable that the procedures are kept deliberately so that they are unpredictable, even if sometimes that's a PITA. I'd say there is 99% chance you'll have no problem, but if the airline says 'no' in the last minute, you'll have to leave the fish behind.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Best bet might be to overnight them fed ex to your house just before you leave, and you should beat the fish back and they'll show up the next day. I'd trust fed ex to get me my fish alive before I'd trust baggage handlers at the airport...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can bet I'd be the 1% that would be stoped. What would be a good backup plan if I wasen't aloud to carry them. The dealer isn't in MD. but Penn. which is only 1hr from my daughters house. Its no big deal, just a fish store who sponsers on this site. I'm just trying to save the huge cost of shipping. Is Fed-Ex cheaper than having him ship? Were only talking 75 to 100 bucks but still its more than the darn fish. I called the airlines and they were vague on there answere. Like Fmueller said I think its who you talk to at the time. I'm waiting for an E-mail answer from Southwest.Already thinking of driving.lol
Thanks Bob

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
fed ex should be less then $50 to ship from maryland/PA to michigan.

Texas to OH was ~$50 fed ex standard overnight, 1 small box with 1 bag of 12 juvie mbuna.

Fish are also often shipped air freight the buyer picks the fish up at the airport. You could airfrieght them to yourself, then pick them up when they/you get there. I think its more expensive than fed ex though.

If you're going to be doing the shipping yourself, make sure when they're bagged they're bagged for shipping and pack them in the box properly.

Just a story about baggage handlers, I once tried to ship back a bottle of vodka from russia in my luggage. It was a hard plastic suitcase, and the bottle was glass and wrapped in clothes for padding. Still didn't prevent it from arriving in pieces. My luggage was checked and security sealed at the departing airport, no one was in it before I received it at final destination. Lord knows how hard they must have been handling the bag in order to bust it. I've seen other bags torn to shreds after being dragged (drug?) underneath baggage carts $100's of souveneirs destroyed... Moral is, nothing is safe in your checked luggage. If you can't carry them on, you're going to want to ship them for sure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL Lol I can so relate with bringing rum home from Puerto Rico. Bags were dripping through the airport.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Southwest said sorry no. I don't think they understood I wanted to check my bags with the fish. There e-mail more or less talked about taking dogs and cats on your carry on. I really don't think they understood but hearing and also witnessing there handeling of checked luggage it may not besuch a good idea. I sure whould like another opinion on this. Would you Football Mom maybe try ae-mail and maybe word it better than me and see what your reply says.
Thanks Bob

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think I am going to give up on the idea of fish bags in my checked baggage and look for some
other method...air frieght or FedEX...
Even if the airline would allow it, I don't think I want to risk it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.