Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/gals,

I've been setting up my fish room over the last month, and like any properly addicted fool I've underestimated or researched my needs.

Currently I have the following;

1x 40g breeder
2x 29g
6x 10g

all tanks are running one over-sized sponge filter each and are powered by three small air pumps (at their capacity).

I am in the process of expanding to a total of

2x 40g breeder
4x 29g
8x 10g

and I want to run two over-sized sponge filters per tank with "air to spare". Is there an effective, reliable, and quiet unit that can do this for under $150?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Is there an effective, reliable, and quiet unit that can do this for under $150?
I wish there were, I'd buy it too. I think you'll have to spend almost double that for the number of outlets run by a linear piston pump, quiet and reliable. Diaphragm pumps are a bit cheaper, but one of the reasons I went central was to eliminate having to maintain diaphragm pumps.

·
Registered
242 Posts
No problem with an air pump and your budget - try the Pondmaster AP40 - I have one and run 12+ sponges with some lines about 30 feet long and this thing doesn't break a sweat and pushes air. It is also very quiet and I have had no problems - you can get it at Kens Fish for about $100 - comes with a 10-12 outlet manifold, the works. It is a very nice unit - they also have a smaller one and a few larger but you can easily do what you want for $150 or less. This is a diaphragm pump but I have had no issues in ~ 3 years of use - and a replacement diaphragm kit is about $10 and dead easy to replace if you ever have to do it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am running an Ap40 as well,,, i made my own manifold with 12 lines. I'm running about 11 sponge filters #5's. I have 8 of them in 65 gallon deep tanks, and 3 more in a 75 gallon tank. Also have some air stones and yes i'm using values to split those lines and so far it's been great.. a used unit which has been running for a year.....

I don't know if it can do 46 airlines though.... :)

Good luck and well that's 2 people using this pump... I also run a Jemcho jph45 which is fantastic but over your budget.....

Good luck

·
Registered
509 Posts
prov356 said:
try the Pondmaster AP40
So, you're saying the AP40 will push his 46 airlines? I'm a bit skeptical. :)
If it matters for recommendations he'll actually have 28 + spare by my calculation. 14 tanks x 2 sponges plus spare capacity.

I am in the process of expanding to a total of

2x 40g breeder
4x 29g
8x 10g

·
Registered
242 Posts
As dotbomb alluded to there are about 28 sponges - but how much of a sponge do you need on a 10G? but I guess that what giantkeeper wants and is not my call. I overlooked the 2 sponges per tank but as you suggest prov356 the larger models would probably do well. The 40 puts out 2900 cu.in/min while the 60 and 100 models do 5500 and 9100 respectively - and the noise levels are pretty much the same - all for under $150

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies - they are all very helpful.

I guess you are right on the filter setup for the 10g's. I'm running 20g (hydro sponge II) sponges on these and is probably adequate.

On the bigger tanks I am running 80g (hydro sponge IV) sponges on those and still want to run two per tank. Overkill, probably :D

Just finished up my shelving and it looks like the setup will be.....

2x 40g (breeder)
2x 29g
2x 20g (tall)
6x 10g

This is just one wall for now. I know how I am so being able to buy a single pump that will cover my needs now and allow me to expand later are extremely important.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
being able to buy a single pump that will cover my needs now and allow me to expand later are extremely important
It is usually important to design or plan in an excess flow outlet valve (blow-off) if the pump you purchase NOW exceeds your current demand. Excess heat can be generated which can lead to shorter pump life. Worth your while to look into this :thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nick a said:
being able to buy a single pump that will cover my needs now and allow me to expand later are extremely important
It is usually important to design or plan in an excess flow outlet valve (blow-off) if the pump you purchase NOW exceeds your current demand. Excess heat can be generated which can lead to shorter pump life. Worth your while to look into this :thumb:
Ok, thank you! I'm still making due with three pumps for the time being. When I actually sit down and analyze what I need prior to placing orders I'll consider this. :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.