Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm trying to find an air pump that will work in my 45 gallon tank. It is 38x12x23 and I've gone up to a 60gallon air pump and still will not produce bubbles at bottom of tank. Air stops about half way down. Any suggestions would be great.
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
Do you have an air stone or other device hooked to the end of the air line in the tank? Sometimes it takes an air stone a while to work properly when 1st installed.

What happens when you just have the air line with nothing attached and you lower it into the tank?

How far away is the air pump from the tank and where is it located, below or above the tank?

·
Registered
783 Posts
The pressure of water at 24" depth is less than 1 pound per square inch.

What pump you need will depend on:

1. What type of devices you are trying to run (simple sponge filter vs. a 3' long air bar)

2. How many such devices you are trying to run.

It's a matter of pressure AND flow (output volume) ...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, I guess what I'm asking is; what size pump do people use for a deep 45 gallon tank. Because I can't find one that works yet even to pump air through a hose to the bottom of the tank with no air stone attached. I've tried one rated for 60 gallons now, and nothing. Only will pump air out if the hose is about halfway down. Any deeper and the air does not flow. Very frustrating!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Kprice14 said:
Right, I guess what I'm asking is; what size pump do people use for a deep 45 gallon tank. Because I can't find one that works yet even to pump air through a hose to the bottom of the tank with no air stone attached. I've tried one rated for 60 gallons now, and nothing. Only will pump air out if the hose is about halfway down. Any deeper and the air does not flow. Very frustrating!
I am using a brand new whisper 60 (rated up to 60 gallons) on a #5 sponge filter. It is sitting next to the tank, on top of the stand and it is running full blast.
It is on a 5gallon tank.

·
Registered
783 Posts
You keep mentioning that you've tried one "rated for 60 gallons" ... but then fail to mention the pump's brand and model or what it's output specs are.

I have both a Fluval Q1 and Q2 ... I suspect either one would be able to push a single device like a sponge filter at that depth (23"), based on their specs alone.

Between the two pumps I was running a total of 6 devices (sponge filters) in 5 tanks ... but none of the devices were quite as deep as 23" deep.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried using a tetra whisper 40-60 gallons. It does not list a pair or any other specs regarding its output. I looked all over for spinach output on the tetra but found nothing. I know I need at least 45 psi due to the out put reading on the air compressor I tested with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts