Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder what results you guys get with air pump repairs. Do you find it works out okay and how do you feel about finding the parts you need? I have what must be a really cheap small air pump and it has both diaphragms split. Easy repair job IF I can find parts to fit. Are these somewhat universal or what do I need to know to find new ones? It's cheaper to replace parts lots of times but not if it doesn't last. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought a hagen/optima diaphram kit and it fit another air pump that had a bad diaphram. But I can't remember the brand. The repair kit came with 2 diaphrams so I still have one left. I think in the future I will just throw out the bad pump and buy a new one.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking that might make sense for this one also. The pump didn't seem to have much info on it which might have meant just a sticker when new that is now gone. Either way seemed to be a bit of not too proud thinking. I've taken it apart and found the name "Meiko Pet" on the diaphragm itself. I find some reference to K-mart stocking that brand which doesn't say much for finding parts.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I repaired many a whisper air pump, and the diaphragms weren't that easy to find. If you can find the diaphragms, the repair works well. I got mine at Aquarium guys but don't know if that'll help you with Kmart brand.

Here's a source in the UK, so there's hope. :)

And here's another source in the UK that says the repair parts are being discontinued. Sorry, doesn't look good.

I eventually got tired of that monkey business after a while and got a piston air pump to power all of my tanks. Very nice not to have to deal with the repairs any more. If you don't have enough tanks to justfiy one, get more tanks. :wink:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not much into using air but have several pumps from trading used tanks. My problem was prompted by suddenly needing to hatch brine shrimp. Maybe it's like you suggest, I just need to buy more tanks and then more air pumps will show up in the deal?

I haven't figured a way to get a new room to show up in any of the trades and the one I have is pretty well maxed. Tanks are wall to wall and I refuse to stack them so I have to climb ladders or squat to work on them. Just getting fussy, huh?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts