Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an air pump for my tank and have a few questions I'm sure its all simple stuff but I don't know much about this yet.

1. I'm putting the air pump below the water level so I need a check valve.I just wanted to know if there was a way to change how much air it puts out like a output control?

2. Its a 2 output air pump but I think 2 is too much for my small tank. should I cap it off or just leave it?

3. Is there any way to make it quieter? Its so loud and the tank is in the bedroom. If not would it be bad to shut it off at night?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
They do make valves, but you want to be careful not to close it off too much or the backpressure could shorten the life of the diaphragm (I'm assuming it's a diaphragm pump). I'd suggest putting a tee fitting on one output. Put a valve off of one side of the tee and run the other side into the aquarium. (Connect the tee and the valve, etc with airline) Start with the valve full open. Adjust the valve until you get the air flow in the tank the way that you want it. The more you close it, the stronger the air flow will be into the aquarium. The valve will act as a bleeder. Just leave the other output open as they're usually not interconnected and one doesn't affect the other. At least the ones that I've had in the past. You definitely don't want to cap it.

One thing I always didn't like about those air pumps was the noise. I had some that were more quiet than others, same model. You might consider just getting a smaller, single output pump. Or try placing it on something soft to deaden the vibration. You can also try putting it in a padded box of some side to deaden the sound, just be sure it's ventilated a bit.

Just wanted to add that if it's needed during the day, it's needed at night, so I wouldn't shut it off. Which leads to the question, what exactly are you using it for? A filter, or just a bubbler?

HTH

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just using it for a bubbler I read that if fish were hanging or by the filter output there could be a lack of oxygen in the water.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Is that what you're seeing? Another option is to add a small circulation pump like the hydor koralia's. You don't need the bubbles, just more circulation. What size tank and what fish are you keeping? What filter are you using?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Rena air all the way! Can't hear my rena 400 at all

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I added an Eheim air diffusor on the outlflow of my canister. It injects air into the outflow and creates a powerful concentrated stream of water which is great for circulation. No noise and no extra electrical appliance running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts