Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am converting my fish-house to an air driven system and require a suitably gutsy air pump. It will power sponge filters in approx 30 tanks all of which are 40 Litres capacity.
Id like to connect to 22mil pipework and screw valves into the main pipe to connect the airline at various intervals to feed the tanks.

I like what I hear and read about the Hi-Blow range but not sure which model to go for - 40 or 80.

Can anyone advise please.

Bungy

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I'd oversize for lots of reasons. I bought a linear piston pump rated for the number of outlets I needed, and wish I had gone one size higher. Especiallly important if the tanks are over 12" deep. Just get the diffuser and valve so you can bleed off anything you need to.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Those are all small tanks so the air requirement isn't huge. Regardless, many factors affect the efficiency of a system, such as diameter of pipe, length of pipe, and the length of the individual drops to the tanks. As mentioned by prov356, going a little bigger is a good idea, and will allow for future expansion. At the same time, going too big will result in an increase in utility costs, for no gain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts