Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a huge fan of bubbles in a tank to begin with, but on Friday night i set one up in my 20 gallon fry tank. yesterday when i came home from work my bedroom was drenched. i shouldn't really call it a flood, but i have had to rip the flooring out of my room, and we are waiting to see how bad the water damage is going to be on my sisters too. it was only 20 gallons of water and yet has made such a mess! what we think happened is one of my dogs must have bumped the air pump off the stand, disconnected the tube and then the air tubing created a siphon and slowly let all the water out.... has anyone had this happen before? what other alternatives are you using instead of bubbles to keep up your oxygen?
:(

·
Registered
65 Posts
beccam said:
? what other alternatives are you using instead of bubbles to keep up your oxygen?
:(
I cannot find the link but some research showed that bubbles dont help with oxygen levels all that much. Surface breakage does. Just aim the outlet of your filter toward the water surface, but not too much as the noise can be annoying, and you will get plenty of oxygen in the water. Personally I have also a powerhead aiming slightly at the surface causing quite a bit of surface disturbance.

The only reason I still use long airstones is to lift the waste from behind my rocks!

Also besides using a check valve on the air tubing, you can try to have the air-pump above water level to avoid the situation you went through (wich would really pi** me off! I feel for you)

Mike

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
what other alternatives are you using instead of bubbles to keep up your oxygen?
Decent current and some surface ripple is enough. You don't need the bubbles. You just want to make sure water gets to the surface on a regular enough basis to give off CO2 and take in oxygen. A little bit of that would happen at the surface of the bubble, but very little. Surface ripple helps the gas exchange by providing more surface area. Normally if you've got any kind of HOB filter or a canister with the outflow near the surface you're going to be fine. In a large or deep tank, it's sometimes beneficial to use some sort of internal water pump in a back, bottom corner to move water, but not necessary in a 20. Sponge filters do a nice job of circulating water and rippling the surface, but then you get the bubbles.

·
Banned
406 Posts
You need to get a one-way valve. :thumb:

·
Registered
305 Posts
AeonzMike said:
The only reason I still use long airstones is to lift the waste from behind my rocks!
That's awesome. Wish I had thought of that before putting my rocks in. Next time I move them around, I will strategically place some air stones inbetween them to do this. Then set it on a timer so it only turns on during the night, because I don't like the looks of bubbles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts