Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems I have a mutant electric yellow (not enough black on his fins to be 100% sure). He is growing faster than the rest of his tankmates, he relentlessly pics on a mutant electric yellow female (she has no black on her fins) to the point where she is starting to look really harassed (nipped fins). At the same time, he ignores the three other yellow fish in the tank, who are also probably mutant yellows.

He is now a splendid 2 inches, she is around 1 1/2. They have spawned (she managed to wiggle into a crevasse where no one and nothing could see her, and emerged in a cloud of a few fry a few weeks later). The fry were eaten by an obliging and peaceful harem of cobalt blues (their tankmates).

Right, how do I help her?
Do I isolate him/her?
Does he go back to the LFS, since she is the only one he harasses? Does she go back? (the LFS may or may not oblige)
Do I add more females? (seems like a non-option, sine the numbers are theoretically 'right')

Are there other options that I didn't think of?

·
Registered
51 Posts
You may wanna put her in a hospital tank or isolate so she can recover and does not become to stressed by the male. Then rearange your tank when adding her back.
He may have just singled her out because she is the only female of breeding age?

I'm sure someone with a bit more knowledge will be able to help you out a bit more

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, sounds like a plan, although I'm sceptical of removing a bullied fish from a pecking order. Too many stories of how that fish was just promptly murdered when returned to the main tank.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Are the other three "electric yellows" females?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes. I say yes because the LFS guy vented them to determine sex. I'm usually inclined to believe them.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
he vented hybrids?I wouldnt give him my business,sorry,also,
hybrids are known to be over aggressive I think you would be fighting a winless battle,get rid of them,and find a better source

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the same problem with a labhybrid. He was horrible at times even after being moved from a thirty inch tank to a six foot tank. He is a lot calmer now that he has been beaten by a more agressive ob zebra a few times...

If it is a hybrid he may be a bit of work to keep and he may need a few more females to spread his agression.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, in defense of the said LFS, his fish are always healthy, he quarrantines all new stock for three weeks in his own tanks, he feeds them a healthy diet, each tank has its own filter, and he actually gives a **** about fish. Considering, with the rest, that he never has dyed fish, he's by far the best LFS within 100 kms of my house. Not that I need to defend my choices, but just because he sold hybrids doesn't immediate make him the devil. He never did claim they were purebred. It was ignorance on my part to assume pure yellow lab.

Remember that saying "take them back and get new stock" is rarely a good option. Beyond our feelings for the fish, few LFS's take them back happily, and even fewer sell them to good homes. That, and if I want to keep yellow fish, they will be mutants (for that matter, if they're mbuna, chances are, they're some kind of mutt). If I want pure YL, I have to import. I'm a (poor) young academic. We have crazy livestock importation laws (three weeks quarrantine at their facility). Frankly, for a 55 gallon that only exists because I likes me fishies, not worth it :)

Alright, that said, seems the consensus is that he might have to go in the end. I'm giving the "heal her up" then "try and isolate him" approach a go, if that works, I'll let you know. Hopefully he'll notice the other yellow ladies soon, and chase them around as well. If that happens, and they all start looking harrassed, then he definitely goes. Hopefully my women will get along without him.

Ironically, if anyone asked me at this point, I would say metriaclima callainos are seriously timid fish :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts