Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love keeping a nasty fish in a tank. When I was in my early teens, a friend gave me a baby Jack Dempsey and a baby convict. I didn't know jack about cichlids, so I thought it was fine to add to my 28 gallon community tank. At fist they were very peaceful, they even were bullied by my rainbow shark and CAE. But when they matured, all **** broke loose! The dempsey killed every other fish in the tank except for the convict and a cory catfish. Needless to say I gave my dempsey and convict away to a LFS.

I have been doing a bit of research on cichlids. It seems besides the Dempsey being aggressive, there is the red and green terror, convict, bumblebee cichild, and Zebra cichlid. I might have missed some. Don't get me wrong, I don't like to see fish get beat up or killed. Right now I have a baby convict. If it makes it great, but if it doesn't, I plan on only stocking my 55 gallon aquarium with 1 aggressive fish.

·
Registered
243 Posts
wolf cichlid if you can get one. Or jaguar. I love wolves but hard to get in the uk and maybe a 55 wont be big enough. Lol. Just check it out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Why dont you try Auratus their extremely aggressive. I had a couple but got rid of them because I found them to be to aggressive plus the largest one I had killed 4 of my fish.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
A 55 gallon really isn't big enough for any of the true tank buster aggressive Central American Cichlids.... being alone, you wouldn't really see it being that aggressive anyway.

Something like a Hericthys carpintis, either variant might work though.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John17 said:
Why dont you try Auratus their extremely aggressive. I had a couple but got rid of them because I found them to be to aggressive plus the largest one I had killed 4 of my fish.
Yes, I checked them out and they seem pretty cool, colorful and are a beautiful fish. Can they be purchased at an LFS, or does it have to be online? The Dempsey I had once mature, bit in half my 6 inch red tailed black shark, and swallowed whole my algae eater. I had looked and couldn't find the CAE anywhere, but I seen it's tail sticking out of the Dempsey's mouth! I used to buy live bait at walmart to feed it!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Adrian101 said:
wolf cichlid if you can get one. Or jaguar. I love wolves but hard to get in the uk and maybe a 55 wont be big enough. Lol. Just check it out.
I checked the wolf cichlid out, and it's definitely not for a 55! According to the website I was on, they can grow up to 28 inches!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi Elijah,

Good to hear you doing some research; you are correct, the "wolf cichlid" aka Dovii is much too big for a 55g.

What is your tank stocking preference? One large cichlid? A pair of cichlids? A group of one species of cichlids? Or a "community" of aggressive cichlids? Etc?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mlancaster said:
Hi Elijah,

Good to hear you doing some research; you are correct, the "wolf cichlid" aka Dovii is much too big for a 55g.

What is your tank stocking preference? One large cichlid? A pair of cichlids? A group of one species of cichlids? Or a "community" of aggressive cichlids? Etc?

Thanks,
Matt
Well Matt, I would probably ideally stock it with 1 aggressive cichlid and a small school of Danios. Right now all that I have is a baby convict.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Elijah said:
John17 said:
Yes, I checked them out and they seem pretty cool, colorful and are a beautiful fish. Can they be purchased at an LFS, or does it have to be online? The Dempsey I had once mature, bit in half my 6 inch red tailed black shark, and swallowed whole my algae eater. I had looked and couldn't find the CAE anywhere, but I seen it's tail sticking out of the Dempsey's mouth! I used to buy live bait at walmart to feed it!
Well its a common fish so you should be able to find it at a LFS. I know at the LFS near me they had a bunch of them before and when I came back a couple of days later they were all gone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts