Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have five cichlids in my 40 gallon aquarium and there is one particular cichlid (orange one). They are all malawi cichlids. This fish is so agressive that he will not even allow the other fish to swim near the rocks. He is chasing each of them around as if he wants to eat them. Its pretty ridiculous how aggressive he is being. I feed them twice a day. Here is a pic of my setup.

Do I need some more aggressive cichlids to add to the tank, or maybe add more distractions like plants.

Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure exactly but the width is approximately 10-12 inches and the length is approximately 2 1/2 - 3 feet

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
You need more fish to be a distraction. The aggressive fish does not want to eat the other fish, it just is a bully. The size of the tank is an issue thou, the longer the tank the easier. Tanks under 4 feet long can be difficult to impossible to keep aggressive Mbuna.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
As noki has suggested, the tank size will become an issue, as it really isn't big enough for these fish as mature adults. The question becomes, do you want to restock for something more appropriate long-term for this tank, or will you upgrade to a more appropriate tank size?

There are too few fish though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, exact dimensions are 3 feet in length and 1 ft in width. The height of the tank is 20 inches

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't be able to upgrade the tank size for probably three more months or so. Will I be able to add more fish and possibly correct this problem until then?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
tjc348 said:
I wouldn't be able to upgrade the tank size for probably three more months or so. Will I be able to add more fish and possibly correct this problem until then?
If you are committed to purchasing at minimum a 4' x 18" x 18" aquarium, I would recommend doubling the stock list. Having said that, I would identify what you have now, and plan what to get next, to give you the best probability of success. They'll probably be ok for four-six months in your tank, with careful and increased stocking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok Thanks, And from the sounds of your dimensions I am guessing that would be around a 70 gallon tank?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was talking about the 4' x 18" x 18" aquarium. It would have to be much larger than 37 gallons because it is a foot longer than mine and it is also a half foot wider. First, I will try adding about 5 more fish. If they get out of control or the one orange fish does not stop being aggressive then I am going to try taking him out of the tank. Eventually I would like to upgrade to atleast a 70 gallon aquarium, maybe even 100 gallon

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have posted a topic in the identifying cichlids forum. I have a picture of each of my fish and once I find out what type they are, I am going to buy some more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts