Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one of my tanks I currently have a bunch of demasoni and 4 yellow labs. I am guessing that I have 2 male yellow labs because one of them keeps chasing the other one. So obviously this is the dominant male in the tank. Even runs the show for the demasonis.
Anyways question is, which yellow lab would be more desirable to remove from the tank? The dominant male or the other one?
If removing the dominant male, would that cause another fish to step up and run the show or could it possible even everything ok?

·
Registered
238 Posts
The aggressive yellow lab could be chasing the other if he is sexually mature and trying to mate.

Try rearranging your rocks first and make sure you have enough places for them to hide. Overfeed, consider overstocking and drop your temp a bit to try to quell the aggression. Then, if that doesn't work, I would pull the more aggressive fish. Just know that another fish may step up and become more aggressive in his absence.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking he was trying to mate at first but the one being chased was sold to me as a male from a proven breeding group. They make me dizzy watching them spinning around in circles for 10 min at a time. Should I assume this is fighting?

I'll try the other suggestions you gave.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yep, it's aggression. Don't pull the aggressive one, either, because it's a 100% guarantee that another WILL step up and could likely be worse.

How big is your tank? Gallons and dimensions. What is your complete stock list? Size of fish? If your tank is large enough, I'm going to recommend getting a couple more YLs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I see members here commenting how a fish must be male because it is chasing the other fish around. I'd just like to add that while this may be the norm, there are always exceptions. I have a female red zebra that I have watched agressively chasing both a larger as well as smaller male all over the tank. I know she is a female because I have watched her drop eggs before. Females can be agressors too! :thumb:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty sure my 2 large yellow labs are males. One came from a breeding trio and the aggressive one I got before the group. He was pulled from a friends group because he didnt want 2 males.

My current tank is a 50 gallon at the moment. It's 36" long. I have lots of hiding spots and caves. Currently has 4 yellow labs and 8 demasonis. 7 are 1" long and the other is 3" long and pretty sure it's a female. I also have 3 bristlenose plecos.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
More caves or females, or both preferrably.

You have room to do it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would definitely get the fish more hiding places, rocks etc. This gives the less aggressive fish a better route of escaping the aggressor. Also, I would suggest trying to get a hold of another 1 or 2 female labs. You currently have 4? And you say two of those are male? That leaves you with a 2m:2f ratio. Usually the ideal mbuna breeding group will consist of 1m:4f. This spreads out the males agression between 4 or so females.

So if the aggression is a real issue I would create more caves and hiding places within the tank and also try adding some more female labs in there.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
YL can still be mean to each other. 1:3 is prolly considered minimum.

Dems, if he started with 12, he can end up with 8... if if it's 1:7, he might be okay.

adding 4, if he gets 3 males, will end up with 1:8... for $40.. may not be worth it unless he starts losing more.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get them for $1 each so it's no problem. If I started noticing any funny business with them, I'll toss in some more for sure. I wasn't sure if adding 8 too begin with would be too much for a 50g with 4 YLs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chunkanese said:
$1 is a really good price. They're 19.99 here for a 2 inch fish.
$19.99 for 1 demasoni? Wow! Where in Ontario are you? Most *** seen them in stores here is $12.99 and that's at petsmart.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've not seen them in any chain stores and our LFS has them for $16.99 for 1.5" fish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts