Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Since the death of our last male Dragon Blood, we decided to get another one for the tank. We also got a couple more girls for him. There was one female left in the tank, as the others also died a couple months ago. The problem is, the poor new male is a bit of a wuss. The older female chases HIM and the other girls around like she's the boss of them, and he does nothing about it. I'm wondering if this is normal behavior for Dragon Bloods? The new girls we got aren't quite sexually mature yet, but the male certainly is. He is this gorgeous reddish-orange color, and his name is Smaug.

The tank mates are:

Yellow labs
Deepwater Haps/Star Sapphire Cichlids (The two fish are practically the same fish since they're so closely related)

We've had no problem breeding cichlids in the past, it just seems that the Dragon Bloods are more finicky. Any advice would help!

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Behavior is not abnormal for any Malawi for females to be aggressive, but it is usually the other way around.

What are the dimensions of the tank? How many fish do you have. Assume 1m:4f of each or more?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank is 55 gallons, 5 feet long, 2-3 feet high and a foot or more wide towards the back.
* 1 star sapphire male, 1 star sapphire female (we had another female before she died, she was quite small)
* 2 deep-water hap males (thought the smaller one was a female, same story with the haps as the star sapphires)
* 2 dominant male labs
* 1 dominant female lab (she's been the only female lab holding)
* 5 baby-juvenile labs, gender undetermined for most. At least 2 males and 3 females from the batch. Planning to sell some of the males soon.

None seem too stressed about the size, as they have PLENTY of hiding spaces in the tank. Nobody is bullied frequently, and we haven't had any terrible accidents with the species we've had so far.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Normally a 55G is 48"x12" and 20" tall. If I put your dimensions through the calculator using the 2 foot height it is a 75G tank. Verify the dimensions?

If your tank is 48" I would rehome the star sapphires as they are 10 inch fish. Choose fish that mature at 6 inches or less.

The dragon blood is a hybrid peacock and can be larger and more aggressive than pure Aulonocara. You might want a bigger tank for them.

Decide if you want females in the tank and if yes, choose 3 species and stock 1m:4f of each. The Electra, the Labs and possibly the dragon bloods from your list.

If you want all males then remove the females. Any females in an all male tank will create unwanted aggression.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are indeed wanting females in the tank, but I agree that the tank a little too crowded currently. We have another tank in the basement that was used before, I'll just need to figure out where to put it as we're a little tight on space when it comes to adding a new tank. The tank is smaller than our 55G, so I might move a couple of the labs in there to free up some room for the bigger fish.

Update on the male; he's doing much better! He's gotten more used to his new home and is establishing his dominance with the dragon blood females, including the one we already had. No problems with him.

As for the dimensions of the tank, it is indeed 48" and I miscalculated the height. The decorations we use aren't too tall, so there's plenty of room towards the top of the tank but I'll see about moving some of the labs to the smaller tank. If I recall correctly the tank is at LEAST 35G, but it may be closer to 40-45G.

We've had star sapphires in the 55G tank before, and it worked out pretty well. 1 male and 3 females, but sadly they died due to past poor management of a caretaker we hired during a 3 week vacation. We've learned our lesson with caretakers we do not know and stick to neighborhood friends. Only 1 female was left, and she soon passed as well due to her age.

I'll keep updating about the tanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts