Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have roughly a dozen Cyps in my 100g(60 x 18 x 21). The dominant male chases the juvenile males almost constantly. The largest male juvenile I have seen hiding in the corner behind the heater and the rest tend to be crowded together on the bottom of the tank. Is this normal behavior from the dominant male?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
No they are usually fairly peaceful. What species? How many females and are they ready to spawn?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cyp. Leptesoma. 3 females currently holding. Several that could be.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a picture of the dominant male.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have one less juvenile male. I came home to find that the dominant male had decided he had to much competition.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I would add a group of females if you can. Or if you can't do that, remove the dominant male at least temporarily.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have had cyps on a couple of occasions. This last time I raised juveniles and ended up with two males and five or six females which seemed pretty ideal but the sub male got picked on so much he had to be placed in a different tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Ideal is to have 12 cyps at least. People claim to have success with 50% males...but I would not be surprised if you have 2 and they fight. I would want at least 3 males.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My school of Cyps was 15 I think. There were 3 males, two were juveniles just started to color.
I have over a dozen fry in a grow tank but they are all about an 1in.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I had a large group of jumbo Moliro cyps at one time with 14 males that all got along great. I reduced the number of males by half and it all turned bad.
I have found some cyps to be very aggressive and others to be completely docile. My cyp Pavo were the most docile cyps I ever owned and I have a small group of cyp Colouratus that I have had for about two years and one male is starting to go crazy as of this week.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 9yr old brought me a zip lock back when I arrived home with another dead male. There are still two? possibly left in the tank. The ones left though are juveniles. I have been working long hours and don't have time to watch the tank right now. On the upside looks like a female is holding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts