Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if the cichlids I have will get more aggressive toward each other as time goes on and if I should return any of them now before I get too attached. I have a 55g aquarium with:

1 Jewel or Hemichromis guttatus (can you sex it)? I know it's almost impossible but I'm curious.

2 Red Zebras or Metriaclima estherae (Red) (again, can you sex them? The first photo is Rapidash and is a very bright orange. The second photo is of Ponyta and a much smaller, lighter colored fish)

1.....Does anyone know this species? I thought maybe it's a lab. And can you sex it?

1 Metriaclima lombardoi? Sex?

1 Labidochromis sp. Hongi young male?

1 Pleco

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
When i have serious agression problems it occurs when fish are around the 3"-4" range.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Aggression always kicks up a few notches when the fish become sexually mature. For different species this can be different sizes - anywhere from 2" (for smaller species) to 3.5" or so.

As a side note - your Hongi has nipped fins. Did you buy him like this? If not, there is already aggression in your tank.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Fins nipped as well on your kenyi. I have red, yellow zebras, jewel pair, and a female kenyi. All get along. Only thing i would say is if that kenyi turns to be a male, your yellow zebra, may get aggressive with it if it turns a bright yellow. My yellow zebra killed my male kenyi.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chunkanese said:
Fins nipped as well on your kenyi. I have red, yellow zebras, jewel pair, and a female kenyi. All get along. Only thing i would say is if that kenyi turns to be a male, your yellow zebra, may get aggressive with it if it turns a bright yellow. My yellow zebra killed my male kenyi.
I believe my Kenyi is female (not completely sure but have gotten this input from others) and when I got her, her fins were fine, same with ther other cichlid in the photos above. My larger RZ has been terrorizing them. She is much bigger than any of my other fish, but has singled out the two new ones.

·
Registered
372 Posts
YoungCrazyCatWoman said:
1.....Does anyone know this species? I thought maybe it's a lab. And can you sex it?
Looks like a yellow lab/ red zebra hybrid to me.

This looks like a group purchased from a chain store, so my guess is this isn't a Hongi.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Not sure you need 3 separate threads for identifying and figuring out what's going on with your fish.

Yes, with that bunch, you'll see a potentially volatile and unpredictable pecking order arise as they hit sexual maturity.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This looks like a group purchased from a chain store, so my guess is this isn't a Hongi.[/quote]

Yea, they were from Petsmart. I definetly won't be getting cichlids from there anymore. I called a local fish store and they won't take the RZs because they came from petsmart, and I can't return them to Petsmart because it's after the 14 day return date. I have no idea what to do with them

·
Registered
464 Posts
The two cherry zebras look like females. The males are pinkish with a light blue hue in all the fins and that yellow lab does look like a hybrid.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cromak said:
The two cherry zebras look like females. The males are pinkish with a light blue hue in all the fins.
Oh okay. I still don't understand why the larger one is attacking all of my other fish, including the smaller RZ female.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My cherry Females chase everything in the tank.. I have 4 bright orange Females and 1 very light pink male, I will try to take a picture later so you can see the difference. It's dramatic

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cromak said:
My cherry Females chase everything in the tank.. I have 4 bright orange Females and 1 very light pink male, I will try to take a picture later so you can see the difference. It's dramatic
My friend is getting a new tank this weekend and is going to take the larger more aggressive female for me. She is just nipping their fins too much for my comfort.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I find if you raise them in the same water from a very young age you can have better results defeating aggression issues later on. The next best pacifier is a larger tank. Most african cichlids are assertive by nature no getting around that.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Here is a pic, not the best pic but you get the idea.

Female is top, Male is bottom

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Cromak said:
The two cherry zebras look like females. The males are pinkish with a light blue hue in all the fins...
Most males & female RZ's are identical.

As noted before, there is a species of Metriaclima Estherae that have blue males - but most sold in the U.S. appear to be red/red - especially from a chain store.

My males are very vibrant orange/red - I only see a little bluish in the caudal fin. I have a holding female that's more pale than my others. That doesn't mean that females are always more pale - I'm just saying Cromak that just because your males are less vibrant, more pinkish - doesnt mean that's the rule of thumb.

RZ's are for all intents and purposes, monomorphic (unless they're obviously not).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Glaneon said:
Cromak said:
The two cherry zebras look like females. The males are pinkish with a light blue hue in all the fins...
Most males & female RZ's are identical.

As noted before, there is a species of Metriaclima Estherae that have blue males - but most sold in the U.S. appear to be red/red - especially from a chain store.

My males are very vibrant orange/red - I only see a little bluish in the caudal fin. I have a holding female that's more pale than my others. That doesn't mean that females are always more pale - I'm just saying Cromak that just because your males are less vibrant, more pinkish - doesnt mean that's the rule of thumb.

RZ's are for all intents and purposes, monomorphic (unless they're obviously not).
I think a good quality male RZ should be lighter in color and have noticeable blue in the fins with multiple egg spots. Kind of along the same lines as yellow labs and a lot of black on the fins, good quality males will have it, but all may not.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I thought it was consensus that egg spots mean diddly when it comes to sexing.

It's likely that a male would have more, or more predominant - but it's not a rule.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Every male that I have ever seen isn't as orange as the females.. I've had about 3 or 4 separate sets of cherry reds and none of my males have been any different then what you see in my picture above. I have seen some a bit darker, but they are noticeably more pink than any of the females. Most of my fish are from reputable breeders so they aren't hybrids or bought from a chain store (at least my zebra's aren't) few fish are.

I've seen some others around here saying the same thing about their zebra's and the noticeable pink hue to the red hue over the females.. so, I guess it can work either way I just haven't seen it as often if at all to be honest.. I remember reading somewhere a comment from DJransome that he has also seen only peach colored males when they mature.. Maybe he will see this and chime in..

·
Registered
464 Posts
bmweiler09 said:
I think a good quality male RZ should be lighter in color and have noticeable blue in the fins with multiple egg spots. Kind of along the same lines as yellow labs and a lot of black on the fins, good quality males will have it, but all may not.
Agree, you can see my pic on the previous page. That is a noticeable difference between male and female from a good breeder strain.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.