Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since cichlids are known for aggression, how do you tell if there is too much? What signs should I look for so I can act before a fish gets beat-up or killed?

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
When a fish is chased relentlessly, or when fin damage does not heal before more occurs. These are typical signs of too much aggression.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Agree. Sometimes you don't witness the chasing at first but look for it if you see any fish hanging around the surface or behind heaters/filter intakes.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Overly stressed fish generally add up to sick fish, so that is another indicator that you need to work on your stock list.

Kim

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
DJRansome said:
Agree. Sometimes you don't witness the chasing at first but look for it if you see any fish hanging around the surface or behind heaters/filter intakes.
This is another good sign. Fish that are hiding in an unnatural position are trying their best to get out of the aggressors territory. Lots of fish will hide, but when they are at the surface, corners of the tank, lying at odd angles or behind structures like heaters and intake tubes, then this fish is being overly harassed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
How long after introduction of a fish does the aggression stop? I have a standard 125g and I just added a 9" fusso, but my 7" venestus is not to happy about the idea. Currently the Fusso is being chased all the time. It has died down a lil bit after day 3 but still going on. Will this stop sometime soon or will these 2 never get along. Also is it typical for a fusso to fight back because this guy doesn't. I guess the big question is can these 2 co-exist?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had 3 red zebras in a 75 along with some others. The largest of the zebras was not the aggressive one, but the middle size would relentlessly chase the smallest one (which wasn't that small). The smaller one would hide head-down vertically behind a Rio 1700 pump I had in a corner of the tank. He would only come out for feeding, else he got chased right back there. This only started happening 6 weeks after setting up the tank with those fish.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
bywilli said:
How long after introduction of a fish does the aggression stop? I have a standard 125g and I just added a 9" fusso, but my 7" venestus is not to happy about the idea. Currently the Fusso is being chased all the time. It has died down a lil bit after day 3 but still going on. Will this stop sometime soon or will these 2 never get along. Also is it typical for a fusso to fight back because this guy doesn't. I guess the big question is can these 2 co-exist?
The larger the fish is when you add it (to an established tank with other large fish) the longer the aggression lasts. It's always iffy adding adult fish to an established tank. These two may never call a truce.

If at all possible, when adding adult fish, you should always try to mix up the aquascaping at the time of introduction.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah, venestus is still goin at the fosso but has calmed down a little. When I first started getting Africans I got nothing but fry, but these things take to long to color up. So i started buying adults. Has worked out good so far. I kinda had doubts about getting the fosso but it is a beutiful fish and I got a smokin deal. I would try rearranging the rocks in there but they are very small and they aren't used for caves. Basically it is a very open tank. Do u think when I move them in a couple of weeks to a 240g that this will stop or will the pecking order remain intact with the transfer?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Try moving the one who is getting picked on (fosso) a couple of days before the venustus...Maybe he can settle in a bit!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts