Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my fish list is

4x Pseudotropheus longior 1.5"
4x M. cyanerhabdos (Maingano) 2.5" (one of them is sub.male)
4x Red zebra ( 2 orange and 2 blue ) 2.5"
6x Black Acei
1x Afra cobue 2"
1x Eureka peacock 4"
1x Rusty peacock 4"
1x Black calvus 1.5"

and 1 blue dolphin at a size of 5.5" (Alpha Male)

also a leopard pleco 7"

Tank is 65 gal and has enough rockwork and hiding places.

There is a lot of aggression in the tank, usually alpha male(dolphin) and mainganos chase all other fish. Other fish don't seem happy, hang out around the top of the tank a lot while bullies are thrilling. What could i do to lessen the aggression? any suggestions welcome!
Just today i had an offer to trade my dolphin into a 2.5" kenyi male and 4" saulosi male. Would it help or just make things worse?

Also what if i'd get rid of dolphin and get some maingano females maybe then maingano males would leave other fish alone? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I have 4 maingano. I think 3 females and a male. I have 2 holding right now so I know at least 2 are female for sure. I have never seen them so much as chase another species of fish and I have plenty. I've heard other people say they have some that are aggressive though. I'd try getting more female maingano and see if that helps, with them anyway.

Maybe the red zebras are to small yet but I'm surprised they aren't the problem fish. I don't know anything about calvus (outside of they are neat looking fish) and have never had any peacocks but I've read that most peacocks aren't happy in with aggressive mbuna so you might want to get a seperate tank for them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my mainganos are 2 females and 2 males.. I also think that it would be a little bit better if i added a couple maingano females, just not sure where i gonna get them at the same size:/

You're right about calvus, it is a really neat looking fish, I had no problems with it so far, malawis look like they're not interested in him at all.. Anyway back to the topic, i still need to solve my aggression problem, so please share your opinions. I have my alpha male posted for sale and i get different kinds of offers, don't know what to do;/

·
Registered
26 Posts
hiding places, male -female compatibility, number of each fish, and temperature.

usually two of the same will fight and the more dominant will make the place his. if you have two males it makes it worse...however if you have a male and female of the same exact species you should be okay. and the more hiding spots the better. higher temps cause aggression..so lowerig the temperature may cut down a little bit.

the dolphins are a little aggressive to begin with but to be honest im suprised the afras or one of the peacocks hasnt made the tank theirs.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Having the two male mainganos and 2 male zebras are both problematic. I would remove one male of each.

Also, having the "single" afra may add to the aggression.

The mbuna stock is a bit volatile for the peacocks to be happy long term. I would expect them to become very stressed as the mbuna all mature.

The calvus can't really compete with the Malawians for food, and doesn't have the same dietary needs, so he may also become stressed.

A high stress tank can become an unhealthy tank in the blink of an eye.

Mbuna should be kept in ratios of 1 male to 3-4 females, in the best case scenario. Keeping two males of any species usually leads to trouble. Housing them in larger groups with 3 males to 9 or so females works better, but limits the species you can keep in a tank that size.

Kim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm ok then, what if i would geet rid of dolphin and both zebra males? also eventually peacocks would go too.. would that help anything? And what could i add instead?
Thanks Kim

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What do you want from the tank?

Do you want breeding, or just alot of colour? If you just want one of this and one of that, then I would remove all females, and all males that look like other males.

If you plan to do any breeding, you don't need to remove both zebra males. The females will breed with your other mouthbrooders.

Kim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You confused me now :roll: Now i really don't know what i want from my tank:) hmm what if i would want a breeding group of mainganos (i would add 2 or 3 more females), and just some other fish swimming aroung for a mix of colours. is that possible? if yes then what fish do i get rid of before i add more mainganos?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You can do that, but you won't be able to trust that any of the spawns are truly maingano. Should one of those other fish swimming around be more dominant than your maingano male, they could be the ones to spawn with your females.

It sounds like you need to go all male with the tank. That can be somewhat of a challenge unless you are able to vent (sex) the fish. (I can't...) You'd still have to remove females as you identified them, unless you went with all dimorphic species and mature fish.

You would also only want one male of each species, since adding more than one male of each species is going to intensify the aggression.

But, this does allow you to have alot of colour and different species in a smaller tank.

Personally, after keeping breeding groups for years, I get really bored with an all male tank. I like the action and activity afforded by the breeding groups.

In your tank size, if you went with breeding groups, I wouldn't want more than 4 species, and those would need to be picked carefully to reduce the risk of hybridization.

The choices you make are going to determine the aggression levels and success of your tank, so it's really something to think about.

Kim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts